Odd damage

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Auto Glass Rescue
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Odd damage

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

Here is a repair I was going to complete today, but had to reschedule due to rain. Sure would have been nice to own the Bubble Dome here :/

Damage by Auto Glass Rescue, on Flickr
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Odd damage

Post by Frank EU »

Check if this is surface or sub-surface.
Also: use your probe to check for moisture and to make sure this is NOT a (partial) bulls eye (filled with moisture).

If sub, find impact point. If there is none, drill, fill, cure.
I have done many of these. They all come out good. Good luck.

What is the diameter?
I have done up to the size of a tennis ball.
chipfix

Post by chipfix »

For damage like that I would steer the customer towards getting a replacement.
While it would not be impossible to fill with resin it would be quit a lengthy repair and the results may leave the customer unsatisfied.

The biggest problem I see is that there is a lot lot glass chips missing(damage open to the surface)that would need to be sealed before you could inject resin.
If I were to attempt this repair I would wipe a thin coat of pit filler over anywhere the chip is open to the surface and cure.
Then I would drill and fill but it is not likely I would be able to force the resin that far from a single point so it may require filling from several drill points.

The end results would the dull appearance of all the surface chips/cracks replaced with resin,multiple drill holes and possible black specks (air) remaining in the chip itself.
Auto Glass Rescue

Frank EU wrote:Check if this is surface or sub-surface.
Also: use your probe to check for moisture and to make sure this is NOT a (partial) bulls eye (filled with moisture).

If sub, find impact point. If there is none, drill, fill, cure.
I have done many of these. They all come out good. Good luck.

What is the diameter?
I have done up to the size of a tennis ball.
Great, thank you for your help!

While waiting to see if the T-storm was going to hit or not, I probed the area. It's sub-surface with moisture within it. The diameter is about the size of a 12oz can and the legs/ends are stable at this time. Now about drying it out, how did you go about this with your moisture evaporator? Do you keep it at one spot for the 20 seconds or so then move, or do you use another method?
Auto Glass Rescue

chipfix wrote:For damage like that I would steer the customer towards getting a replacement.
While it would not be impossible to fill with resin it would be quit a lengthy repair and the results may leave the customer unsatisfied.

The biggest problem I see is that there is a lot lot glass chips missing(damage open to the surface)that would need to be sealed before you could inject resin.
If I were to attempt this repair I would wipe a thin coat of pit filler over anywhere the chip is open to the surface and cure.
Then I would drill and fill but it is not likely I would be able to force the resin that far from a single point so it may require filling from several drill points.

The end results would the dull appearance of all the surface chips/cracks replaced with resin,multiple drill holes and possible black specks (air) remaining in the chip itself.
I explained to the customer that it would not look like new when I'm finished. I told him that if the completed repair did not look 80% or better, I would not charge for the repair. I also mentioned that it may take me drilling into the window once or multiple times to fill the damage. He called about an replacement and said his deductible was 1k.
Last edited by Auto Glass Rescue on May 10th, 2012, 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

You can see the chips on the surface all along the crack so you know that at least most of the crack is surface. I think you can fill it with one small drill hole in the center and should have no problem getting resin to the ends. I would just use curing film to seal the surface chips as the resin comes to the surface rather than sealing them with cured resin from the start.

As chipfix stated you will still see all the spots where the chips were filled after the repair is complete, but in my experience the customer is nearly always amazed at the end result. I've done many of these over the years and found they usually fill very easily and this one looks particularly clean except for the surface chips.

Where the break is at on the windshield and how you set the customer's expectations will determine if it should be replaced or not but I would leave that up to the customer. I actually like doing breaks like this because the customer gets so excited about the drastic improvement in appearance and the lifetime guarantee we provide for the service. If you have not done a repair like this before the worst that can happen is that either you or the customer is not happy with the result and you don't charge for the service, but that would surprise me.

If you do it be sure to take an "after" shot and let us know if the customer was happy with it. This is not a difficult break to fill in my opinion, nothing to be afraid of.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Auto Glass Rescue

Brent Deines wrote:You can see the chips on the surface all along the crack so you know that at least most of the crack is surface. I think you can fill it with one small drill hole in the center and should have no problem getting resin to the ends. I would just use curing film to seal the surface chips as the resin comes to the surface rather than sealing them with cured resin from the start.

As chipfix stated you will still see all the spots where the chips were filled after the repair is complete, but in my experience the customer is nearly always amazed at the end result. I've done many of these over the years and found they usually fill very easily and this one looks particularly clean except for the surface chips.

Where the break is at on the windshield and how you set the customer's expectations will determine if it should be replaced or not but I would leave that up to the customer. I actually like doing breaks like this because the customer gets so excited about the drastic improvement in appearance and the lifetime guarantee we provide for the service. If you have not done a repair like this before the worst that can happen is that either you or the customer is not happy with the result and you don't charge for the service, but that would surprise me.

If you do it be sure to take an "after" shot and let us know if the customer was happy with it. This is not a difficult break to fill in my opinion, nothing to be afraid of.
Thanks Brent and I will keep you guys updated. We rescheduled for Tuesday. About the chips chipfix and you pointed out. There is only one spot where I can fell the damage (it's directly in the middle of the damage).
screenman

Post by screenman »

Understanding how these breaks run and in what direction is the secret to success, not only on this type of break but most others. Now the chipped bit you see is the surface and that air (black) around it goes down to the PVB, drill and pop to the outside edge of this in the middle of the length and the resin flow, you will be totally amazed how when handled correctly these breaks fill.

Most people with a lack of understanding would of course drill into the pitted area, which of course is a total waste of time as that is nice clean unbroken glass below.

As for dry out I would suggest it is blow torch time, although with patience the Drystar would do the job. Make sure that you cool it completely before filling.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Auto Glass Rescue wrote: Thanks Brent and I will keep you guys updated. We rescheduled for Tuesday. About the chips chipfix and you pointed out. There is only one spot where I can fell the damage (it's directly in the middle of the damage).
My humblest apologies. In the photo it appeared there was glass missing at the surface in several locations, but I should know better than to make assumptions from a photo.

You may very well be able to fill from the point that you can feel. I've filled a lot of these without drilling at all. It's no different than any other break in that respect; if the surface damage leads to the air pocket and you can cover it with your injector seal you should be able to fill without drilling.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Auto Glass Rescue

Thanks screenman and no problem Brent, I should have painted a clearly picture for you guys.