Hot Weather Shade

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
glassdoctor

Re: Hot Weather Shade

Post by glassdoctor »

I never run the a/c to cool the w/s. Last thing I want when leaning over the front of a car on a hot summer day, is engine heat adding to the misery.... no fun feeling like you're being slow smoked bbq style. 8-) To me, it's much better to use shade and something cool like a wet towel. If you can open the car get the direct sun off the glass, it will cool all by itself in a few minutes. A little help from a cool rag or spray bottle makes quick work of it.
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by DryStar »

glassdoctor wrote:I never run the a/c to cool the w/s. Last thing I want when leaning over the front of a car on a hot summer day, is engine heat adding to the misery.... no fun feeling like you're being slow smoked bbq style. 8-) To me, it's much better to use shade and something cool like a wet towel. If you can open the car get the direct sun off the glass, it will cool all by itself in a few minutes. A little help from a cool rag or spray bottle makes quick work of it.
Yes it can get rather hot with engine running but I personally spend 10 of the 15 minutes repairing these inside the vehicle with the A/C running. More than enough time to write out the invoice. To each his own I would guess.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I repaired a ws on a firebird. The driver thought he was doing me a favor and ran the ac prior to my arrival. The heat from the engine was vented toward the glass. That ws was so hot, I couldnt touch it. I used a beach towel, water and the heat sink to cool that glass. It took more than 15 minutes to get it cool. I also did a rendezvous and I did use the AC to cool that WS down. I was in the sun,high 80's and the heat sink could not get the job done. Both repairs turned out fine. Both ws heated back up within 10 minutes of the repair, too hot to touch. The temp on both at cool down 88 Firebird and 96 rendezvous. Its like a juggling act deciding what method to cool down glass on these hot days.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Candyman, your absolutely right!

I prefer customers to keep their vehicles in shade or in the the garage prior to repair but
that is not always an option. I deal with it daily. Some conditions are great while others are not. You just need to adjust to all of them.
Eco Steam
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Eco Steam »

glassdoctor wrote:I never run the a/c to cool the w/s. Last thing I want when leaning over the front of a car on a hot summer day, is engine heat adding to the misery.... no fun feeling like you're being slow smoked bbq style. 8-) To me, it's much better to use shade and something cool like a wet towel. If you can open the car get the direct sun off the glass, it will cool all by itself in a few minutes. A little help from a cool rag or spray bottle makes quick work of it.

Here in Texas or anywhere that the temps get high, I would say that running the engine can pose a few issues, even if they don't happen often, they still do happen and can happen......

#1 - I would have to agree with glassdoctor, when it's hot out, I don't want the heat from the vehicle in additional to the heat from outside.

#2 - I know of a few people in the repair industry that have ran the AC to cool the windshield down for several minutes, when they started the AC the chip was the size of a dime or so and then in a matter of minutes when they came back to repair it, the damage had spread out several inches, one of them spread out about 20 inches!

Instead of running to the local hardware store with the attempt at making a cover of some sort (or making something that causes further damage to a customers vehicle), the best thing to do is buy an easy up canopy, they sell them pretty small and fairly large ones as well. Why would I suggest this? Simple, if you're looking to shade yourself and the windshield, these things can be pulled out, and popped up in a matter of a couple of minutes.

If you're worried about wind, then either buy a few cinder blocks, or get a few empty milk jugs fill them with sand, or you can buy concrete that you just add water and it sets in a matter of minutes, pour the concrete into the jugs, then your water or however, let them get hard and you have something to hold them in place or you can go get a few 50 pound weights and use these......or just use your imagination on however you want to hold it in place.

It seems that this would be the easiest and more logical way of staying out of the sun in addition to getting the windshield out of the sun....under most circumstances anyway.

My 2 cents....
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Several years ago I wrote in about a uv shield golfers umberella. It has been a God-send. http://www.uv-blocker.com about 49.95 plus a few dollars shipping. I attatch a 3"suction cup at base of handle and two at the end of two adjoyning tips with wire ties. I put a suction cup (normally) on top of car, one on w/s and one edge of hood covering a large area of glass. For me I can not be without it and priced right.
Also I use a 12volt fan with etension cord from Auto-zone pluged into back outlet on CRV, place on hood under the umberella to first of all help cool glass then turn it on me.
Now, I'm convinced it does block uv, heat and shade but do not forget or neglect to use a Delta Kits uv shield over the work.

Hope this works for you.
Roo

Post by Roo »

Hey Chips, can you post a pic of your umbrella? Sounds interesting.
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

[[img]img][/imHave several but cannot transfer. Check the above web site and check the golfers umbrella. I will keep trying.