Hot Weather Shade

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
abcinabq
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Hot Weather Shade

Post by abcinabq »

I'm looking for Portable Shade Ideas.
Large used car lots, without any shade are a major concern now that the temps are 100 degrees and going up.
I wonder if the Delta Bubble Dome, with dark color tint would cast a LARGE enough shadow to cool the glass FAST enough.
Right now I'm using a piece of White Foam Board, about 20"x20", and taped down with blue painters tape at the top and propped up
with the injector in place to make shade, when trees are non existent.
GlassStarz

Re: Hot Weather Shade

Post by GlassStarz »

LR makes a nice umbrela that clips to the wiper also I have used a small pop up in the past with great results :)
abcinabq

Post by abcinabq »

Yes, we've tried those, but I'm looking for more ideas, there has to be more.
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by DryStar »

If you have a hitch....check this out. It has worked well for me in the past.

http://www.topoftheline-travel.com/port ... hitch.html
Auto Glass Rescue

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

Feel your pain, same problems down here in TX. I have just been calling my customers about 20 minutes before I arrive and if they can, instruct them to run their vehicle's AC. Maybe good ol' Delta Kits could come up with some device that can keep both us and the windshield cool and in the shade... It's going to have to be very light and portable too :D
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Auto Glass Rescue wrote:Feel your pain, same problems down here in TX. I have just been calling my customers about 20 minutes before I arrive and if they can, instruct them to run their vehicle's AC. Maybe good ol' Delta Kits could come up with some device that can keep both us and the windshield cool and in the shade... It's going to have to be very light and portable too :D
I've done the same for insureds but if you have dealership or rental accounts that method doesn't work so well.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

There is more, kinda. I found you have to manufacture your own product. Much of what you find on the market is IMO cheaply made and not really commercial use product. I've considered selling a few copies of what I make and use, but never wanted the hassles really. I might be willing to make up a few sometime, but not right now... too busy. Fall/winter is more my time to mess with stuff. Delta now has some similar products to what I've made btw. I make or source my own shades, bags, lights, tappers, drills, etc etc. There are so many different ways you can do it, just have to use your imagination. The only thing I use that comes from a WSR company is literally the repair bridge/injector tool itself. The one thing I would like to see hit the market is the perfect drill. I've been thinking about actually building my own "dremel"... maybe next winter lol. I switched from the dremel mini mite to the B&D wizard years ago, but the wizard has been discontinued. Dremel needs to scrap the old school mini and come up with a modern lithium version. Don't like the current lithium options. Sorry for getting off topic :lol:
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

glassdoctor wrote:There is more, kinda. I found you have to manufacture your own product. Much of what you find on the market is IMO cheaply made and not really commercial use product. I've considered selling a few copies of what I make and use, but never wanted the hassles really. I might be willing to make up a few sometime, but not right now... too busy. Fall/winter is more my time to mess with stuff. Delta now has some similar products to what I've made btw. I make or source my own shades, bags, lights, tappers, drills, etc etc. There are so many different ways you can do it, just have to use your imagination. The only thing I use that comes from a WSR company is literally the repair bridge/injector tool itself. The one thing I would like to see hit the market is the perfect drill. I've been thinking about actually building my own "dremel"... maybe next winter lol. I switched from the dremel mini mite to the B&D wizard years ago, but the wizard has been discontinued. Dremel needs to scrap the old school mini and come up with a modern lithium version. Don't like the current lithium options. Sorry for getting off topic :lol:
OK....but now can you share with abcinabq what works for you shading hot windshield repairs? Not to much to ask, is it?
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Seeing a no response, I'll share one. Wet down a bathroom sized towel with ambient temperature water over windshield (using chips savers of course). Windshield temp will drop from 130F to 75-85F within minutes. Don't believe me? Just try it!
Auto Glass Rescue

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

DryStar wrote:Seeing a no response, I'll share one. Wet down a bathroom sized towel with ambient temperature water over windshield (using chips savers of course). Windshield temp will drop from 130F to 75-85F within minutes. Don't believe me? Just try it!
Thanks DryStar! In your experience, how long on hot days (100+) in direct sunlight does it take for the windshield to warm back up to it's original temperatures?