Question about hiring help

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
LWR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Question about hiring help

Post by LWR »

Hello all! Business has been going fairly well for me lately. Very thankful for that.

Heres the deal... I have an opportunity to secure 2 to 3 additional tent locations at busy gas stations with the owner of the gas station that I'm currently working with. I would really like to expand to these other locations and obviously cannot work all of them. I'm a little uneasy about hiring help because of the liablility involved. I feel that the quality of my work is excellent and I want my future techs to perform at the same level with the same attention to detail and professionalism as I do.

For those of you who have employees or subcontractors working for you, how do you go about finding quality wsr techs?
LWR

Re: Question about hiring help

Post by LWR »

My question directed more towards how do you find the people you consider to hire. But thanks for your response.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Be prepared for the good ones to venture out on their own once trained. Remember you are training your competition. That happen to me and several others on here.
timclavin

Post by timclavin »

Has anyone considered using a non-compete agreement with a new employee ?
It will at least give you some potential protection from someone you have invested time and money into training.

It might soung tough but it can give you some protection in your area if you so desire. My attorney says it can be enforceable in a small claims court.
candyman

Post by candyman »

These things are normally limited to 1 year, and must be specific and limited in scope of area.
pommy

Post by pommy »

It's the same with any business my friend - never an easy thing.

Train a mechanic, will he compete when fully skilled? Will he take your customers?

It can only come down to trust. Knowing the person the best you can before employing them - ie work references etc

I used to work in recruitment (8 years) and was taught to find the persons MIT (most important thing) the thing that makes them "tick".

So, if money is the main motivator for someone and my client wanted someone who wanted a steady, reliable job with a regular wage - that person wouldn't go forward.

And vice versa - if they wanted a go-getter,I wouldn't send the "plod on" type who hangs their coat up and goes home dead on time every night.

So all I'm saying is - try to find out via an interview what's important to them, what's their MIT - where they want to be in say 2 years, 5 years etc.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.