You offer any perks while completing a repair?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Auto Glass Rescue
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

You offer any perks while completing a repair?

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

Like vacuuming the vehicle or cleaning the windshield and windows. Me personally, I clean the outside of the windshield (inside where I worked) and all outside windows during the process. I'm beginning to think this is a totally waste of time. I could be wrong, but it just seems like the customer could care less. I have never received a compliment or thank you. I feel any type of acknowledgement would tell me that the extra time I spent cleaning the windows was worth it. I may just cut it back to cleaning the windshield only.

Thoughts/comments?
thechipdoctor

Re: You offer any perks while completing a repair?

Post by thechipdoctor »

it just seems like the customer could care less

I think you've answered your own question!
puka pau

Post by puka pau »

Back rub, shoe shine, tire rotation, diaper change. They all get rave reviews.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

puka pau wrote:Back rub, shoe shine, tire rotation, diaper change. They all get rave reviews.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
NICE!! :lol:
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Auto Glass Rescue wrote:Like vacuuming the vehicle or cleaning the windshield and windows. Me personally, I clean the outside of the windshield (inside where I worked) and all outside windows during the process. I'm beginning to think this is a totally waste of time. I could be wrong, but it just seems like the customer could care less. I have never received a compliment or thank you. I feel any type of acknowledgement would tell me that the extra time I spent cleaning the windows was worth it. I may just cut it back to cleaning the windshield only.

Thoughts/comments?
Like and freaking agree!
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Just wash and squeegie the windshield and dry wipe the inside of the windshield where the suction cup of your mirror was.
Any more than that is a waste of time.
pommy

Post by pommy »

I have never received a compliment or thank you
How long have you been doing it for? Is it a new thing?

If you've done it for a long while and never a "thank you" or tip even - CAN IT!

If it's new, perhaps give it some time.

I might be opening myself up to a flaming here - but generally, despite the cosmetic appearance of the repair i.e excellent/great/average - I try NOT to clean the screen too much as it focuses the customers eye on the repair more.

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I have cleaned the whole screen a time or two, but my habit is to just clean up after myself and leave the car with no debris, marks, smudges, etc of my own making. I'm not there to detail their car. Having said that, I see no problem in making it a habit to clean the w/s, especially if the customer seems nice and is the type that you would hope to do business with again. I'm more likely to wipe clean the w/s if they have requested that I inspect the w/s to see if there is any other chips that need attention. In that case, there is usually some fingerprints... either theirs or mine. But anything beyond that is certainly wasted effort, and some might even find it creepy to see you cleaning their whole car for them without being asked. Oh, if the car is filthy or covered in bug guts... it's their deal clean it up, not mine. It's likely that either "dirty car person" won't appreciate your effort anyway, or they will be embarrassed about the dirty car and that you have to work on it like that, let alone have you clean it for them.
Hawaii Guy

Post by Hawaii Guy »

I always clean the windshield inside and out. I do most of it while the repair is being cured. I have discovered other damage that was not previously seen plus it makes me feel better about myself. Former detailer mentality I suppose but evidently it may distinguish you from your competitors. Do not feel discouraged for not getting a thank you, it is just our society. Have you ever been to Costco at noon and seen the people getting free samples and never thanking the poor person putting out those little snacks as fast as they can while the vultures swoop in? They just provide the service and keep going. You are a super star. Thank you for doing what you do and I hope you keep doing it.
LWR

Post by LWR »

I squeegee the windshield after every repair and wipe the inside if I used a mirror. Once I started to do this I started to get the occasional tip here and there. I try to engage the customer while I'm cleaning and often say something like "I'm a much better chip repairman than I am a window cleaner." Always gets a laugh and often gets a tip.