Drill bit

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

I am new to this and I purchased a basic kit but it does not have a drill bit in the package. I tried to do the repair without drilling but the resin would not go in. Is there any place I may order or go purchase one drill bit from such as Home Depot in the Dremel section. What am I looking for exactly, maybe a part number?
Thank You
Turbo
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

You wont find what you need in the hardware store your on the delta site why not order some from them? the bits we use are smaller than normaly sold through the store :cry:
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Turbo,

Was this a used kit that you purchased? If not, I'd suggest calling the company where you made the purchase and ask them to send you some bits. I thought all new kits came with at least 5 bits.
Have you had any training in the w/s repair business? All w/s repair companies sell bits as well as dental supply companies. Personnal preference as far as which bits to use. I carry 3 types..taper dome, pear shape and a #6 round.

Dave M
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

If you buy a Dremell from a Lowes or a Home Depot make sure buy two power pack charges that fit on to the Dremell and one Charging plug .Also buy your drills from a dental supplier ie eg PATTERSON dental price for 10x $14.25 per packet Bur #fg 1170 (MIDWEST) it is much cheaper than buying from a Windshield Repair Company----the big welshman
Nelson

Drill Bits

Post by Nelson »

I pay 20.00 for 20 bits from a windshield repair company. It appears that you may be paying to much.

Nelson
the big welshman

The price of $14.25x10 for the burs fg 1170 MIDWEST ..These burs are the TOP of the line
sydfloyd44

Drill Bits

Post by sydfloyd44 »

The drill bits (truly called "burs") are nothing more than dental drill bits used for drilling your teeth. Next time you are at your dentist, look over at his bit holder and in the midst of the 50 or so you will see, you might find one you use!
For the last 10 years, our company has used nothing but the Carbide FG2 bits.(mostly SSWhite brand). Have tested some tapered bits with pretty good success, but in the end, we have found the FG2 to be the best all around bit.
Keep in mind that when you buy in larger quantities, you will typically get better pricing. We buy LARGE (very!!) quantities direct from a Major dental supply company which in turn saves significant amounts of $$. If you are buying in small quantities, you should be paying no more than $1.50/bit. If you want to save some money, talk to your supplier and see what kind of discount they might offer you for a larger order.

P.S. The "FG" means "friction grip".
the big welshman

Drill bits-Bur-- SS White or Midwest are both top of the line, it is true the more you buy the less you pay.----the big welshman