SUPER GLASS v NOVUS Windshield repair Franchises

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: SUPER GLASS v NOVUS Windshield repair Franchises

Post by Brent Deines »

Not a problem Dave. I was actually hoping you would chime in and would love it if a current Novus rep or franchisee would give their take as well. As a former franchise owner myself (not windshield repair related), I certainly understand the benefits franchises have to offer. While I don't think they are for everyone, I agree with you that help with marketing and additional training, among other things, are sometimes the difference between a hobby and a career.

At the risk of sounding like I am promoting a franchise, I will add that in my experience putting additional money up front makes entrepreneurs work a little harder to be successful. The guy who buys a windshield repair system and a box of business cards for $1000 really doesn't have much to lose but someone who puts out $15K - $20K is typically going to put more time and effort into the pre-purchase research as well as into the post purchase effort that it takes to establish and run a new business. The fact is the typical franchise purchaser has already done something pretty well in order to save up enough money to make that purchase so they sure as heck aren't going to walk away without giving it their best shot.

I will also add that from my experience windshield repair franchisees are generally very good at their craft. That's not to say that independent owners are not, but I've rarely seen either a SuperGlass or a Novus franchisee that did not do quality work. That is partly due to the extra training and support they receive but in my opinion has just as much to do with the fact that they understand the importance that quality and consistency play in the long term success of their business.

It's important to understand that not everyone is cut out to be a franchise owner but for the right person it certainly can be beneficial. I get the impression that technicians sometimes think Delta Kits, SuperGlass and Novus are enemies but I've never seen it that way at all. We may not agree on everything but I think we do agree that windshield repair can be a great business for hard working individuals who are focused on quality and providing a much needed service to automobile owners. I think we can also agree that when starting a business, any business, it's a good idea to thoroughly research all of your options. Start up cost is of course very important but your return on investment is what will determine your level of financial success. One of the great things about windshield repair is that you have many options depending on your financial position in life and the goals you set for yourself.

I have a great deal of respect for both SuperGlass and Novus, which by the way are also also have significant differences.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

David, some extremely sound advice there in your last post.
SuperGlassDave

Post by SuperGlassDave »

Thanks for your input and kind words Brent and also thanks Screenman.

There is so much more windshield damage than we can repair, it's all opportunity right now. If SL is repairing 6000 per day and Lynx is probably replacing that many that could be repaired every day, imagine the business coming our way when those two bottlenecks are opened to the free market.
Sylvi

Post by Sylvi »

I followed this thread from the start. There are good and bad on franchising, according to my knowledge. I am not living in the USA, where things are different to my country Sri Lanka we are a developing country, although have a history of more than 2500 years. Three years ago managed to solve the ethnic problem of minority.

I visited USA in 1992 brought this method of windshield repair and polishing to our country from 'NOVUS'. Since I have been very successful in this technology few others followed by USA kits imported. They were never able to come up to my standard of repairs on completing jobs. I have been a trained person far back in 1960 to 1964 in UK for maintenance of electrical units of Automobile and heavy industrial units mainly Rewinding of motor armatures and transforms. Had a workshop which my late father started in 1931.I too continued with the number of skilled workers engaged in Island wide service.When new industrial units and vehicles started coming into our country, after the 1977 free era of imports were allowed, curtain came down to most maintenance workshops by late 1980 and 1990. I immediately found a new technology to substitute the new era in Sri Lanka. Which was very important to Automobiles. As well as high rice buildings glasses to be maintained.

Still carry on my late father’s business maintaining electrical units with a low key.

I cannot forget 'NOVUS' Excellent training I received in Minnesota. Thereby I was able to stand on my feet without any fear of any others competing with me.
Even today Iam in my late 60s will be 70 in the next year. Still active. Handle all security vehicles which are owned by only government parliamentarians. Also private sector high end luxury vehicles, with,able skill young number of workers including mobile service. Most work under my supervision.

I have not mush connections with 'NOVUS" because their cost of franchise fees are not in line with our income. Most materials are hand carried from USA by my friends and relatives who live in the USA. Who comes at least in three months to Sri Lanka

I do not mention of anything against, windshield repair establishment promoting a franchise. Country to country it is a variable pattern of Business. Very recently Sri Lanka got in to franchising business.
IT is the skill of workers on any windshield repair to satisfy the customer on a finished crack repair or polishing to be without any ripples on the glass. As in our country vehicle owners expect the crack repair to be 100% perfect like a new glass. Which is very difficult to do.

Sylvester,
(Sri Lanka)