Acid VS Non-Acid Resin

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Acid VS Non-Acid Resin

Post by candyman »

I ordered some non=acid resin recently and I need to know from some of you if the end results are the same on a repair. I did a few repairs and the legs look great, but the impact point seems to be more visible using the non-acid resin. Is this just a fluke or is this normal.
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Acid VS Non-Acid Resin

Post by Mr Bill »

Are you using pit filler?
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

I used GT acid free with regular pit filler and nitrile gloves with great results for well over 15 years and still would swell, crack, and itch if the resin got on me. It is not totally free, but almost.
Since switching to Magnibond with nitrile gloves, what, 5-7 years ago, no problems at all. Now I just use their hand cream protectant and no gloves.
Are you seeing the pit, or just different gloss after polishing? I usually use my old style Dremel with buffing pad now for about 10 seconds.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Acid free in my opinion is a bit like snake oil, it will still be an irritant and get absorbed into the skin if you do not wear gloves etc.
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

Glad to hear that for you. My first 3 years were fine, then I spilled a bottle all over my hands and couldn't wash them for 2 hours.
As Screenman said, your skin will absorb the acid, and I believe it is like lead exposure, it builds up in your body and doesn't go away!
Check with your Doctor.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

As I understand it the Acid etches the inside of the crack/chip making a better bond. I am not bothered yet by it but know several who are. I would use gloves myself before I switched to the non acid ;)
candyman

Post by candyman »

I ordered the non-acid based on some of the post, warning about skin damage on the hands. I havent had a problem in the past 4 years, unless I do several back to back repairs and use a alcohol hand sanitizer to clean my hands, instead of soap & water. I always use a pit resin afte I fill the break or crack and cure under UV. I noticed on the first few repairs that the impact point seemed more visible, than normal when I use acid resin. I did a star break today using non-acid and I got the same results as I normally do. I'll need to do more repairs before I make a final decession to continue its use. Thanks for all the information.
screenman

Post by screenman »

What I said is all resins can be harmful if handled badly, acid free or not they will all get absorbed into the body through the skin if left on long enough. Some people are more tolerant than other, not sure why I will have to do some research now I have questioned it.

Very simple test into how quickly things get absorbed through the skin, rub a little garlic paste on he bottom of your feet or foot, 20 minutes later it will be smelt on your breath.

WEAR GLOVES whenever handling resin is my advice, trouble will eventually come if you do not do so.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Here are a few very important things to remember. Not all people will react the same to acid based resins and not all acid based resins are made the same but using caution when using acid based chemicals, or even acid free chemicals for that matter, is extremely important. Just because someone has never had any noticeable reactions to a chemical does not mean that they never will. As screenman mentioned, the chemicals will get into your bloodstream and overtime may cause a mild sensitivity, or in some cases, a severe reaction to that chemical.

I've been repairing windshields for over 25 years now and never had a skin reaction but I use only high quality resins and I do my best to keep it off my unprotected skin. We have very few customers who ever experience reactions to any of our acid based or acid free resins, largely because of the type of chemicals used in our resin formulations but also because we constantly preach about the importance of taking proper safety precautions. That said, I have seen first hand what some of the inexpensive windshield repair resins do to people and believe me you do not want to experience that. Not to try and scare anyone but there are products out there that will eat the skin right off your hands! Worse yet, once you become sensitized by a very harsh product they may no longer be able to use even a high grade acid based resin without problems.

As mentioned previously in this thread, proper precautions should be taken even when using low acid and acid free resins.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I am not a doctor but I do play on on TV and screenman plays my lovely assistant. In case you have not see our show it is all about conspiracy theories in the windshield repair industry. I play the part of an evil genius and together with screenman we work tirelessly to deceive unsuspecting windshield repair technicians into believing that they should actually read and adhere to warning labels and MSDS...bwwwaaahahahaha!

Part of our dastardly scheme is to get people to actually do their own research that will help them distinguish between the facts and fiction presented on forums such as this. Sometimes we even go so far as to encourage innocent forum members to read government studies and journals written by medical professionals who are obviously all part of our dastardly scheme. But alas, our true identities have been exposed! In real life we are nothing more than simple windshield repair technicians with a fair bit of experience and a passion for helping others. Go figure.

Below are links to some pretty generic information about chemicals used in the windshield repair industry. Literally thousands of studies have been done to document that many chemicals are absorbed into the skin and proper safety precautions should therefore always be observed. A quick Internet search will provide you with a lifetime of reading if you wish to become an expert on the subject. For me however, speaking with chemists, doctors and windshield repair technicians who have experienced allergic reactions or increased sensitivity to windshield repair resins was enough to make me a believer.

Tune in next time to see screenman make a baby cry when he stops him from drinking windshield repair resin. Why screenman why?

http://72.52.184.8/~radtecho/ehs_pdfs/U ... ndling.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/skin/
http://www.epa.gov/chemfact/methy-fs.txt
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.