Doing it part time Like it was full time !

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
muckin's

Post by muckin's »

I was wondering if any one has made hats that say something like ...
I can save you money!
Or ask me how I can save you money?
so The customer brings it up!

also i was wondering what is in the programs like ACT that makes it easier to do business?

And is there anyone that can give me any info on doing this business

part time but doing it like i was doing it full time because i don't want my

customers thinking i am not going to do it right! like iam a fly buy night

kinda guy! I have a full time job and lets say someone call me and wants

to set up an appointment to do a rock chip repair. Do i say aim all booked

for the day BUT i will get to it after hours..... actually i will be doing it

after i get off of my full time job? and let the customer think iam going

out of my way to do the service? but keeping in mind i will have to do this

to all my customers?
Thanks for any input
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

That's a decent way to handle it. Can you answer the phone like it's your business? That would help too.

You might occasionally have a problem when people want you to come to their work during business hours, etc.... some will ask what day you can come by between 8-11 am, for example. Do you have any full open days to work?

It would be difficult to work exclusively after hours M-F.

But most times do like you said, just say "tell you what, I'm booked till 4:30 or 5:00, but can I catch up with you when I get free after that?"

You could also maybe cop out if they ask for an appointment and say you usually schedule "house calls" late in the day, or after servicing fleet accounts, etc..
paintlessplus

Post by paintlessplus »

If you are going to use the networks, you have to be full time. With the current technology, faxes/ email /voicemail/callforwarding/answering machines, you can somewhat create a virtual business presence. What you can't create is 40 hour week during 8-5 service. You'll need a tech to accomplish this. My advice depending on availabilty and geographics -would be to form an alliance with another tech in your area and ask if he would be willing to cover some overflow jobs and refferals from you. In this business, you are dealing with multi-million dollar corporations( insurance companies and glass networks) that are entrusting you to take care of their customers. If you can't do this, they may sever their ties with your company. As far as doing this part-time, I don't personally think that you will look like a "fly-by-night" if you present a professional image, and be up front with your customers as to your availability- offering to bend over backwards to provide convienent after hours service. I think that the biggest draw for this service is the fact that you can come to the customers home or office and rapidly take care of his problem with no cost to him and very little effort on his part. It shouldn't matter if you do a 15-20 min chip in his driveway at 8:30 A.M. or 9:00 P.M. Good Luck :D Bob
CPR

Post by CPR »

I do this part time and to be blunt you wont have enough to do in the beginning to be a problem. If you get swamped with work and do quality work then it is time to make a career decision. I use magnetic signs so my boss wont see them, and just schedule work when you can do it.

People think your busy so you must be good, they actually love it when I tell them I,m booked until 6:00 but I will see you at 6:30. As long as you are neat, friendly and personable you will be fine. Also go after all the fleet work you can find, they usually prefer after hours or weekend appointments
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

The really nice part about this business is you can work it part time of full time. This business is my only income and I don't work it full time (40 hours a week). I could if I wanted too but I don't need to right now. Also weekends are great too for doing jobs.
David
Coitster
Glass
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Also weekends are great too for doing jobs.
David
Coitster
I too find weekends to be better obviosly more people go to the carwash and generaly have more time, they arnt hurrying back to work or home to get the kiddys. I have been taking my days off during the week seems to work well and gives me more time to work in the studio on my art. although I am on call should one of the dealerships call in a customer repair. :roll:

Fixed Quote Box
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

This is my full time business but seems like part time. I can't remember the last time I worked over 30 hours in one week. Work on a weekend?!! Are we suppose to work on weekends too? But what about my golfing time?
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I haven't worked a weekend in 12 yrs... hope to keep it that way ;)