Safety violation for chipped windshield

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
chipawaymobile
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Safety violation for chipped windshield

Post by chipawaymobile »

Hey guys, I've been a member of this board since August, and reviewing it on a regular basis ever since. I still don't quite have enough posts to have full access, but by searching the older posts I find what I need. If not Korey has always been willing to help. So let me start with a HUGE Thank You, you guys are a blessing.
I recently was out prospecting, using some of the Coistering techniques, when I had a fleet manager tell me that one of his drivers just received a safety violation for a chipped windshield. He showed me the truck and it was three small bullseyes, none of which was in the driver's PVA. This led from this one repair, to me being there all week to bring all his vehicles up to standard.
He explained to me that the officer informed him of the neglect of companies towards safety violations. Instead of the ticket just going to the driver, they keep up with the company whom they work for as well. If the company, as a whole, receives "X" amount of safety violations,( not sure the exact amount ) in a given period of time, the state will bring down a company wide safety audit of all their vehicles. This not only includes windshields, but wipers that are frayed, lights out, broken mirrors, tire tread, etc.
I was wandering if anyone else had heard of this being enforced, and what a great selling point it has already proven to be. The ticket was issued in Michigan, or Indiana. Or as they so eloquently put it, " One of those Yankee states up North" . Sorry, guys. You hopefully appreciate the humor of some of the folks I run into, another thing that's cool about what we do :lol: I'm located right outside of Nashville, TN.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Safety violation for chipped windshield

Post by GlassStarz »

Many states do this. Also they get inspected at the border and issued a fix it ticket if the chip is in the drivers view
chipawaymobile
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Safety violation for chipped windshield

Post by chipawaymobile »

I thought that might be the case. I was just surprised he wrote a ticket for a couple of bullseyes not even in the PVA. I've tried to find a copy of a ticket to carry around with me that I could show the shop manager with my pitch to drive the point home on the importance of doing the repairs sooner rather than later. I haven't had any luck yet at locating one.