What is this? Some kind of sealant?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What is this? Some kind of sealant?

Post by screenman »

Either way I think we all agree the job has not been done correctly if that is any kind of sealant creeping out, be it to hold just the trim or the whole lot, who knows?

Do not please forget one of the major selling points of repairs, seems like some of you may have done just that.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

I wouldn't replace the ws for this, but, screen have it your way sir , I'll not longer post on your forum
screenman

Post by screenman »

Up to you Sunshine, when I am selling WSR one of the things I sell on is safety, a badly fitted glass can be unsafe, end of no argument on that point. Will it be unsafe who knows, much the same as will a small chip turn into a long crack.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Definitely not Urethane so I agree with Sunshine that this in itself is not a safety issue. It's a fairly common practice, albeit a very poor practice, of unskilled auto glass technicians to use a pliable sealant to hold down moldings, stop whistling noise caused from loose moldings or even to stop water and air leaks. You can use a razor blade to remove the excess on the glass and adhesive cleaner to remove any residue from the molding to make it look better, at least temporarily, but during hot weather it will likely start to ooze out again again. I've seen a lot of this kind of work done by hackers who replace windshields at car lots and auto auctions where the primary concern is only to get the glass in fast and get the car off the lot. It doesn't necessarily mean the sealant between the glass and the body of the car was applied incorrectly.

However, I also agree with Screenman that "if" the same person who put that sealer under the molding also installed the glass, the installation was likely done incorrectly as well. If I didn't know for sure I would remove and reinstall the glass if it was my car, just to be on the safe side.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.