What PSI is used to inject the resin into the crack?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
shane2177
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What PSI is used to inject the resin into the crack?

Post by shane2177 »

I posted earlier about my windshield crack dilemma and basically since I am almost resigned to the fact that I will probably have to replace the windshield, I figured I might try experimenting. I work in a fabrication shop and we can/have made almost anything imaginable in the last 20 years. I was going to experiment with using air pressure - thus my topic question - and a regular air gun with a rubber nozzle to try to force the resin into a crack and see how it worked. Since I cannot find someone who will try to repair it, I figure I have nothing to lose and the worst thing that can happen is I make it worse. I already have someone scheduled to come out next week and replace the windshield (the company had the windshield in stock and told em it was no problem canceling as long as I gave them 24 hours notice) so making it worse really doesn't matter at this point.

Does anyone know what PSI would be best for injecting the resin? Is that parameter even known or worried about in the glass and windshield repair trade?
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What PSI is used to inject the resin into the crack?

Post by GlassStarz »

Air in repair Bad
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Resin will wick into the crack from the surface if you take a drop or two of it and move it down the crack with a razor blade, or some use a Qtip and dip it in the resin. May have to flex near the end but even though you might not get it clear to the end it will still stabilize the crack when it cures. You can use an air blower to clean some of the dirt and water out of the crack but I wouldn't use it for injecting. When I used a mity vac pump I never went over 20 to 30 lbs, and only for the very end of the crack.
shane2177

Post by shane2177 »

I don't think air in the repair will be an issue the way I plan to try it. The plan was to fill an brand new clean air gun with the resin and only use air to push the resin out of the tip. It will work like a syringe because the gun will be filled with resin before the air is connected and will only be held in a vertical position so the air cannot leave the gun until all resin is used.

I am certainly not asking anyone to tell me it's going to work or that its a smart idea for a professional to try but in my case since I cannot get anyone to attempt a repair in my area I really have nothing to lose except the $25 worth of resin and the $7 air gun.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Shane save your money and put it towards a new glass, WSR does not work the way you describe. Also not forgetting then when your new tools sprays resin over the paint you have big problems.
shane2177

Post by shane2177 »

screenman, I was thinking it would work exactly like a piston injector wouldn't it? I think I understand that with a professional piston injector it's nothing more than a o-ring seal that fits tight against the windshield and a screw mechanism that is turned to force the resin out of the piston chamber into into the crack because that o-ring seal fits tight enough against the windshield the resin cannot escape around the o-ring so it has to enter the crack right?

My "repair kit" would do exactly the same thing, the only difference is I'd be using air pressure instead of the mechanical screw mechanism to force my resin out of the chamber. The secondary item I will use is a large suction cup with an arm attached to it to hold my rubber spray nozzle tight to the windshield.

This is the main reason I was asking what PSI is used to force the resin into the cracks with a professional injector. If I knew that I could adjust my pressure regulator to that PSI and then fabricate a pivot for my arm apparatus that connects to the suction cup which would hold the rubber nozzle tight to the windshield. I was using the youtube video re: "winshield crack repair (17 inch)" as my inspiration.

I fully understand that as a professional you think its a waste of time, but that's because you have the tools to do it right and I don't. I am however great at making almost anything and have the tools and material to do it in the fabrication shop I work at so all I'm losing is my time - and the aforementioned ~$32 - which is well worth it since this experiment shouldn't take longer than ~2 hrs to try and could save me $300+. Plus I LOVE building stuff!!!

I will attempt this and report back my luck so if nothing else all you pros can laugh and maybe I'll even make it into your "this one guy at a forum I frequent tried using an air gun to inject resin!" customer stories, I know I have a few of those I share to with others guys in my trade!!

I do appreciate the heads up about the resin splatter on the paint, I hadn't thought of that potential pitfall and will make sure to cover the truck with some commercial grade paint drop cloths. Thanks for the input and anyone else who has anything to offer would be greatly appreciated as I am planning to attempt this on Saturday!
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Run a bead of resin along the crack it will wick in thats how cracks are filled
puka pau

Post by puka pau »

As you probably have deduced by now, there is a world of naysayers out there. Typically, naysayers are not particularly well versed in thinking outside the box. What you are proposing may or may not work but then you never know until or unless you try. Success is generally 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. You've done well with the 10%. Now it's time for the rubber to meet the road.
screenman

Post by screenman »

puka, do not think of me as a naysayer, chances are you or many others do at least use something each time you do a repair that I bought to the trade. That is if you do a repair properly.

How will this guy drill and stop? How will this guy dry out? How will this guy cure properly? How will this guy know when it is filled?

A windscreen is a major safety item, when you guys get that into your heads it will help the trade along nicely.

I am giving honest genuine advice to a guy, not getting him to waste money.

Do you encourage every customer who calls you to try a DIY kit himself?

Stop taking every chance you get to have a dig at me, it is very boring and shows you to be very shallow.
screenman

Post by screenman »

In reply to Shane, we use a variable pressure system.