Drill

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Drill

Post by Nomad »

I'm still using the 7.2 older multi pro, it is smooth as silk, no run out. Bought a new 7.2 and couldn't use it because of the vibration and run out, wouldn't even work with a polisher. It broke bits when I tried to use it for drilling or as a rotary scribe. So I kept nursing the old ones along, but finally had to order batteries with tabs and solder some new battery packs. These work like a champ. I did buy the newer minimite at Wal-Mart last week and it runs very smooth and works well.

Tried the 7.2 battery in the mini mite and it wouldn't hold a charge even though I have hardly used it. Tested batteries and one was dead, an replaced it with new cell. That's probably what's wrong with yours. The mini mite 4.8 and the 7.2 are the same tool with different sized batteries. They even make a 6 volt where you can use 4 alkalines and I think that is also the same tool. If you can get a battery holder for the non rechargeable AA cells it would certainly make a good backup. I also believe the 7.2 new dremel runs too fast, at least for my liking.

I do have a lithium 10.8 with a right angle attachment on it that works well. The right angle attachment make getting into confined areas easier, like under visors etc. It also has a true variable speed so my thumb stays on the speed control while I'm drilling and I can vary the speed while I'm working if I want. It is a bit large so it will take getting used to. I bought this as a possible replacement for the older dremels that the batteries were dying on as new ones are not available. I find that although it works OK it is a little too large to be convenient to carry, and the switch is too easy to get bumped and turn the thing on in my box, with probably undesirable consequences.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

Thanks guys for the information. I normally keep my dremel in the bottom of my kit, wedged inside a foam cut out with a box over it so the switch want get moved. I've even removed the battery at times. Always seem to not work or have minimal power when needed. I am thinking , I have a bad battery from the start. I'll pick up a new drill and see how long that last.
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Here is some helpful information the Dremel drill battery charging.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
J.T.Window
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by J.T.Window »

I just went on ebay and bought two 4.8v dremels that take AA batteries. One is the older model with the square battery holder an the other one is the newer one with the tapered holder. They were $27 and $30 with shipping. I use rechargeables and drill about 100 jobs on a charge.
Vikingfann

Post by Vikingfann »

I use the Dremel Stylus 7.2 lithium for drilling but not for polishing. I like the "hand gun" grip design for control and the variable speeds. Mine has lasted me several years although I rarely use it on rock chips - mostly just long cracks. Recharge is fast and easy.

Jere
Attack-A-Crack Windshield Repair
Lake Elsinore, SoCal
candyman

Post by candyman »

I picked up a dremel 7300 this morning for less than 23. had I known it was that cheap I would have replaced mine sooner. 4.8 V w/ charger and tools.