Raising Prices

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Raising Prices

Post by GlassStarz »

I have been playing with my prices long time customers I charge the same new I have upped 5 to 10 bucks so far no complaints. ;) I think we get in a zone and start to think that's all we can get tillyou try.
screenman

Re: Raising Prices

Post by screenman »

I do the same most years, most of my customers in fact all of my regular customers never ask the price. As you and I know but many fail to see some people shop for more than the lowest price.
h2oman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by h2oman »

So may I ask what city you live in? What was your price and what is your price now per repair?
screenman

Post by screenman »

I do not live in a city, I live in a small rural village in Lincolnshire UK, one of the least densely populated counties in the UK. I now charge a minimum of £50 or $80 per windshield. There is a lot of competition around here, as somehow it has ended up the main county for windshield repair tool suppliers, 4 within 20 miles of me.

I do not cost my customers money, I save them money.
Vikingfann

Post by Vikingfann »

Repair prices really need to be relative to replacement prices in your area. In my area, most common windshields at independent shops can be had for $100 - $140 out the door so my price of $40 + $15 for additional ones hasn't changed in many years.

Jere - owner/operator
Attack-A-Crack Windshield Repair
Lake Elsinore, SoCal
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I used to charge $50.
One day a guy approached me and introduced himself.
He also does mobile WSR in this same area and he told me he charged $75 and nobody ever complained.
He recommended that I raise my price, as I was, in his opinion charging too little.
Next day I started to charge $60 and nobody blinked.
I am happy with $60 for 45 minutes work.
Safelite charges over $100 for lousy repairs, and another shop in town charges $75. The $75 shop guy drills a "big" hole in the WS and then fills that big hole.
I think he uses a lot of heat too, because I see a lot of partially filled crack legs or completely unfilled crack legs and voids on his repairs, that may have appeared to be filled when the glass was hot, but which reappear when the glass cools down.
I no longer use heat during a repair, as I find that the results are deceptive.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

On a similar topic - replacement prices - I was so busy at a markup of $XXX that I decided to increase my prices by $XX. No one blinked an eye. Now I am again at a point where I have raised them yet again. What I have found is that if you offer your customers a seamless transaction, they almost don't care what you charge them (within reason). Don't screw people around with being late or re-scheduling and you will be fine at a reasonable but profitable price. I work 7 days a week at two full time jobs (not forever, but for now) and my time is precious. So is everyone else's so make it worth their money.