Windshield Repair vs Windshield Replacement

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
EMCAutoGlass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Windshield Repair vs Windshield Replacement

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

To get back to the original post, here are my thoughts:

When a customer gets their windshield replaced does it raise their rate? A replacement generally costs the insurance company more than a repair, unless the customer has a high deductible, which about 60-70% of people have a deductible of $500. So, I would imagine that a replacement, or multiple replacements could very well raise rates like any auto loss claim. As for repairs, I have been told that they don't raise rates, and most WSR companies say the same, but I had a customer a few months ago who wanted to pay cash. I told him that his insurance would most likely cover it, and he said he had about 3 or 4 glass claims in the last year or so. He mentioned that his rates had either gone up, or he ended up switching insurance as a result, so he didn't want to make another claim. I don't think one or two repairs will do anything to insurance rates, but chronic claims may affect them.

Also, when a customer gets their windshield replaced do they have to pay the deductible? Yes, if they have one, and most do. With most having a deductible, they'll generally spend between $200 to $500 for a replacement, and all right out of their pocket. Safelite is almost always the most expensive, while using the cheapest glass (bulk ordered junk from China). You can get a quote from them online, which I do for customers sometimes when I refer them to my referral shop to show them the price difference, and also point out that my preferred shop uses PGW glass (better, and made in the USA).

In general what are all of the benefits to doing a repair rather than a replacement? Both monetary benefits and non monetary benefits.
Monetary: obviously, much cheaper to repair in every case. The least expensive replacement I've seen at my referral shop was $169, and an average repair is $50-$70, so at least $100 cheaper to repair.
Non-monetary: Safety! You lose the original factory seal when replacing, and no replacement will be quite as strong. The windshield is about 30% of the roof support in a sedan, and about 60% or so in an SUV/truck. The windshield is also part of the crash sensor for air bags, and the windshield is also used as a backboard for the passenger air bag. With an improper replacement, the airbag could blow out the windshield in a crash, rather than protect the passenger, or the windshield could pop out in a rollover. Removing a windshield results in scratches to the pinchweld. If it's not primed properly, it will eventually start to rust. I'm sure you've seen cars with rust around the windshield. That's why. Improper replacements can also leak (water, wind, road noise). Cheap auto replacement glass tends to chip/crack easier, and also sand pits easier (little tiny surface pits all over the glass).

I hope this helps. If anyone has anything else to add, your comments are appreciated!
-Marty
kentcrossfit

Post by kentcrossfit »

Thanks Marty. That's perfect. everything that I needed to know!
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Kent, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this cat. It's great to make contacts with these guys but if they're not warm to you then its best to save your breath for those that are. To answer a few questions: A claim on a rock chip repair is a claim on their insurance. It might not "raise" their rates for the moment but when they "Switch to Geico" the insurance company might see that they had X amount of claims and determine their rates based upon this...There's some pretty shrouded information about what these claims actually do, my argument is that a claim is not good, though I gladly bill insurance on behalf of customers who want me to. Also, yes their deductible applies to replacement. Some have ZERO deductible. Others have $50, $100, $500, and in my case, $1000. Most full coverage does rock chips regardless of the deductible though.

There was a guy on this board who posted a lot of stuff to the "business development" section of the forum (Coister?). He has some great tips on approaching office complexes and the like. I'm not a great salesman, but I learned a great deal from this cat and I have some great relationships with real estate companies because of it. Generally, professional folks have full coverage, are somewhat educated on the possibility and advantages of repair and are more than willing to bill insurance. I've made stops at some of these places that earned me $400 in a matter of a couple of hours so this is definitely a market worth seeking. When I started out, I tried the dealers, the auto shops, and all the rest and walked away feeling like a cheap hooker. It was good experience but... One slippery slope you want to avoid is the price war. There are more than enough repair/replace guys willing to canabalize each other for the sake of "getting the job." They will be in and out of business in the time you take to do 10 repairs and clean your equipment. Stick to your guns, establish a reputation, and you will have staying power. The sky is the limit with this. It's less about the repair (though this needs to be done RIGHT) and more about YOU as a businessman.

Good luck and Godspeed.