Surfaced breaks

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Surfaced breaks

Post by Nomad »

I do this kind of thing quite often. Sometimes in these, oftentimes, the cone of glass that is captured between the 1st layer and the laminate is broken in pieces. The cracks are just floating and there may be no way to get them to look good. If they do not continue out from the edge of the circle and into the surrounding glass then they won't continue to grow in any case. Just leave your injector under pressure and walk away for a while and you will be surprised how good it looks when you get back. Most of the time anyway. Daisy breaks, the ones that look like flower petals, are real challenging sometimes as parts of the perimeter just don't want to fill. One of the few times I find that heat from a lighter on the outside can be helpful, otherwise you just have to drill into the voids to get access to fill them. You'll find out what I mean when you run into one. Each petal seems to be different too, sometimes almost like a separate chip that has to dealt with separately. This is what makes this business interesting.
screenman

Post by screenman »

in the position I would have repaired every time, I also would have pit filled and drilled, first down the middle which for me on the one would have worked, but for sure around the edge if it did not.

Are you using a UV shield?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Based on the position, size, and what I can tell from the photo I would repair this one and would expect it to turn out very well. I would however warn the customer that because of the large pit area the completed repair would be more visible than the average repair. I don't like to stick my neck out too far based on a photo but from what I can see I don't think I would have any problem evacuating the air and replacing with resin.

In addition to the pit area it appears there are several places where the cracks reach the surface that may have needed to be sealed off prior to starting the repair, which could be done at the same time the pit was being capped.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

Looks like an easy bullseye
screenman

Post by screenman »

Except that it is a nasty combination :D