whats the best canopy / rig to setup for windy places

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
fabian0224
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

whats the best canopy / rig to setup for windy places

Post by fabian0224 »

hello good afternoon everyone,

my name is Fabian i live in la porte tx which is a very windy city most of the day, i have 2 tent locations like 8 miles away from the coast
and ive been throught at least 5 canopies and its very frustrating. ive tried everything from buckets with cement, stakes, etc but the wind still gets to them eventually and messes them up. i wanted to see what everyone else uses or different setups i might possibly be able to implement over here.
i would really appreciate the help
thank you :D
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: whats the best canopy / rig to setup for windy places

Post by GlassStarz »

I think you are just going to keep replacing them. You only other option would be a small trailer with a more stable awning. But to be hones that might only be a little better
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

In addition to weight at the bottom of canopy, I've seen brackets attached to outside of enclosed trailer and use of the pins used for e-zup sandbags.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

If you go to places that have supplies for swap meets or the like, you will find the pipes and the fittings to make your own shelter, basically any size you want, and with any pipe size up to maybe 11/2 or maybe 2 inch or so. I put a fitting just above the ground to run a pipe around three sides to stabilize the bottom too. You can make a flat top or a pitched roof, and pipe length determines how large it will be. Too large and the wind forces become too much to handle. This works best for a place where it would be put up semi permanently. I use the white canvas for the top, and even around the sides if you want. Much stronger than an ez-up. You would have to stake it down really well though. And taking the sides and maybe the top canvas down when you leave for the evening will prevent damage from occurring while you aren't there. I made mine out of 3/4 inch pipe (it's really electrical conduit) but 1 inch would be a lot better and stronger.

Another thing that is nice is that if it does get damaged, you just have to replace the bent pipes, not the whole thing. Something you can't do with an ez-up. Disadvantages are that it takes a lot longer to set up and tear down. I use my old 34 foot motorhome now, and had a 19 foot travel trailer for a while, both worked very well for keeping out of the wind and cold, keeping stuff in a fridge for lunch or snacks, a ready bathroom and a place to take a nap if things got really slow.
fabian0224

Post by fabian0224 »

thanks everyone for your replies and help i really appreciate it
now time to go make my own canopy :)
impala-renegade

Post by impala-renegade »

Yeah I'd love to have a place to make my own canopy and be able to leave it up all the time!!!!!!!!!! That would be great for business. Otherwise I'd say to just get that tent tied down if possible, with ropes extending out at 45 degree angles. Attach them on the corners and bring the ropes out so it makes a BIG X, ropes making an X. That makes the tents SO STRONG! It's really the only way to go in high wind. You'll have to stake into the ground somehow.. you can't just have weights on the legs.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

Revisiting this post/topic rather than starting a new one. I am looking at getting a cargo trailer and installing an awning. I have yet to find exactly what I have envisioned. Do any of you use a cargo trailer with an awning and if so, would you provide information on how you built it or the vendor you purchased it from?
Semper Fi - USMC
Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!
Jimmy V.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

I use my tent in the wind granted not over 30-40 mph make an anchor go to the hardware store by two sheets of wood and 4 half inch nuts with bolts assuming your tent has a ten foot side. Attach the canopy legs to the anchors on one side 10 foot side then park your car on the anchors this will secure your tent very well I do that on one side then two 35 lb weights I purchased with my tent on the other. So far I have been able to use my huge banners on all sides with no real issue which is great being banner on big side is 15 ft long by three feet wide one banner is 10ft x6 ft and last one is 10 ft x 3 ft.Any way that cost me approx. 30 dollars to build it is light weight and setup tears down fast from a local hardware store. Sweet part is at hardware store guy working there ask me what is was building I explained an anchor for the tent and what I do he ended with a chip in his windshield I repaired so actually cost me nothing for the anchor after that sale.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

Would you post pictures of your set up?
Semper Fi - USMC
Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!
Jimmy V.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

You can see one on site at www.rcrnr.net but just now starting web page design should have more pics in the next few days. Web page in progress learning being I am computer illiterate.