Windshield repair business in Florida

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Glass_Like_New
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Windshield repair business in Florida

Post by Glass_Like_New »

I just learned that there's no deductible for replacement in Florida. With that in consideration how feasible is a windshield repair business in Florida? I have been doing reasearch for a few weeks now and was getting all psyched up. Until I learned this.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windshield repair business in Florida

Post by screenman »

Do what I do and find the uninsured market, fleets, trucks, buses, coaches and the list goes on. They are cheaper to service than the retail market and are not so seasonal in some bad weather area's.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Florida has lots of fleets, that's for sure, and there are successful windshield repair businesses there despite the zero deductible, although those who are members of this forum may be hesitant to encourage you to become their competition. There is also a cash market for those who do not carry full coverage on their vehicles and those, like me, who don't want to have their windshield replaced unless it is necessary. There is also a market in the larger cities for high end cars, which is a market often overlooked, but one that can be very lucrative if you have the necessary skills to make it work. People who drive high end cars don't care so much about the cost so you can charge top dollar if you can provide a high quality service. We have a few customers who do very well marketing exclusively to customers driving high end vehicles.

I suggest doing a bit of research. Make up a short list of questions and call some fleet managers to find out if they are currently having their rock chips repaired. If so, who is doing them and how much are they paying? If not, what it the reason and what would it take to to get them interested? Meet them in person if possible and limit you questions to just a few that can be answered in 2-3 minutes. Most fleet managers are very busy and will appreciate the fact that you value your time.

If you want to explore alternative markets, like high end vehicles, you need to think outside the box. How will you market your services to them? What will you do to set yourself apart from your competitors? How can you present yourself in a manner that clearly identifies you as a professional who appreciates quality? Here is an example from another industry. I had a friend who was a cosmetologist, or as they were called when I was a kid, a hairdresser for women or a barber for men. No offense to anyone in that industry, I know a licensed cosmetologist does far more than cut hair, I just never heard the word cosmetology until I was an adult. Being a pretty bright young lady, my friend quickly got tired of paying someone else to have a chair in their rented salon, so she opened her own salon and targeted wealthy customers so she could charge more money for her services. She and all of the employees she hired were fit, attractive, well dressed, friendly and well mannered. In addition, all customers were offered champagne or hand crafted coffee drinks as soon as they entered the salon. They also received a scalp message and a few other little extras with ever haircut. So now she gets $30 for a man's haircut that she used to charge $15 for and $100 for a women's haircut she used to get $50 for. Men and women alike flocked into her place to have their hair cut and raved about it to all their friends. Not only did these changes make her far more profitable, they created a far higher demand for her services. Better yet, tips increased significantly and she was able to charge more for the chairs she rented to other cosmetologists. Do I go there for my haircuts? No. Does she care? No.

You will never get every customer so find a niche that is a good fit for you, and one that not everyone else in the industry is already in. Then, make the most of it!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Glass_Like_New

Post by Glass_Like_New »

Hmm. But to start approaching those fleet managers I need to be comfortable with my skills and my equipment. How complete and self sufficient is 36800 EZ-200S Mini Mobile Windshield Repair System? Would I be needing a lot more additional stuff to feel comfortable working?
MichaelSmedley

Post by MichaelSmedley »

I like that story Brent,

The high end market is a little more difficult to crack. You need good communication, confidence and quality. If you can get there, its the most satisfying, IMO.

For me the windscreen market, repair or replacement has alway been broken down into three groups, high, middle, low.

The high enders know what they want and thats service. They walk into your shop, slap their keys on the counter and tell you when they want the vehicle back. Price is not important as most of the time it a company vehicle and they are not paying anyway. These people don't even ask the price. If you want the business you best snap to it, you can make up your own price later.

Then there is the lower end of the scale, these people will call everyone in town to save $5. They may even be selling the vehicle and could not care how good your service is. Even if you beat a price they will rarely commit to an appointment, they will just use your price as leverage to keep phoning others. Now we all like a bargain, however sometimes these customers can be over aggressive and quite rude.

Then the biggest group of all, the middle group. These people tend to look for value. They are looking for above average quality, prompt service and value for money (not cheapest). These people will pay more providing they see value.

It's all up to you how your business makes a first impression, be that your home page, shop front, or company vehicle. People will make an early impression of you in just a few seconds. Perhaps you could even smile once in a while. :D
Delta Kits Distributor Australia
Service 8® Windscreens
t4k

Post by t4k »

Glass_Like_New wrote:Hmm. But to start approaching those fleet managers I need to be comfortable with my skills and my equipment. How complete and self sufficient is 36800 EZ-200S Mini Mobile Windshield Repair System? Would I be needing a lot more additional stuff to feel comfortable working?
That kit has everything you need. I started with less than that.
Glass_Like_New

Post by Glass_Like_New »

Thanks guys. Why dont fleet managers use insurance? Or do they not have the same kind of coverage?
screenman

Post by screenman »

Most large fleets over here do not have glass cover, they may also be third party only of self insured.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Most fleets in the USA are self insured for glass. Insurance coverage is too expensive. In fact all of the fleets I have worked with were self insured.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Glass_Like_New

Post by Glass_Like_New »

Thanks all!

Self insured means cash business, correct?

Retail Question - Also would you say most people have full coverage? Or do a lot of retail work you do involves people without full coverage (i.e. cash business)?