Questions about startup

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
abbot
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Questions about startup

Post by abbot »

Hi guys,

I'm brand new here. I have been reading around here for the past week or so and to be honest, the more I read, the more confusing some of this gets. I know all of this has been gone over before, so if you don't feel like responding, pointing me in the right direction would be great.

If I proceed with the purchase of this WSR kit, I just want to do this on a small scale, part time.

1. I don't really want to deal with insurance companies if that's possible. It seems so much easier to just deal with customers that are going to pay the price out of pocket. I live in the north so there's constantly a market for chip and crack repair, especially during the winter months.

2. What exactly can I repair with these delta kits? I have seen some WSR websites that claim they will only repair a crack less than 14" etc...why is this? Obviously chips can be repaired but I'm a little confused on cracks. The difference between a stress crack, and a crack from impact. I guess to make it simple, I just don't really know anything about what kind of repairs are possible, and what I should take a pass on.

3. Insurance...I assume most of you have some type of insurance for this business. Where do you recommend getting started as far as insurance.

My situation is a little bit different. I own a Digital Marketing Agency and already have found a hole in my local market. I'm not concerned about getting work. But to be frank, I know absolutely nothing about this business. I want to test the waters on my own first then hire on and replace myself as soon as I see fit.

Sorry, I'm sure you guys get threads like this all the time. I won't be offended if you simply point me at some useful threads or information that will answer my questions.

Thank you!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Questions about startup

Post by Brent Deines »

1. If you have plenty of business without billing insurance I agree with you, why hassle with it? On the other hand, my experience has been that many people are more willing to have their windshields repaired if there is no out of pocket expense so why walk away from business? It really is very easy to bill insurance companies and if you buy a Delta Kits system we are happy to show you how and to provide you with a very low cost EDI solution.

2. Repairing cracks has more to do with technique than it does with equipment. I've successfully repaired cracks over 36" long using a Delta Kits system and method but in most cases I don't recommend repairing a crack that long, especially if you are brand new to crack repair. Regardless of the system you purchase you should first get training and then get a windshield and start practicing repairs of all types. If you plan to specialize in long cracks follow the mfg recommendations for the system you are using. There are several techniques for repairing long cracks and everyone has their opinion on which is best but following mfg recommendations will generally provide the best results for the system they produce.

Some windshield repair technicians specialize in long crack repair and as such are hopefully very good at it. However, many windshield repair technicians repair very few long cracks and are not particularly good at it (don't be one of these guys). Still others don't do long cracks at all. I live in a community where there are no annual safety checks and many people without full coverage insurance so I've done my share of cracks over the years but personally I find it more lucrative to stick to cracks that are 6" or less in length. I'm also selective about where in the windshield I repair a crack because no matter how good the result, a crack will always be visible from one direction or another and can be a distraction to the driver. If after being successfully repaired a long crack is still a distraction to the driver I believe the windshield should be replaced. I also offer a satisfaction guarantee so the customer never pays unless 100% satisfied. If you offer this guarantee you better be confident in your work and only repair damage you know you can do so successfully.

Unlike some who post on this forum I don't shy away from stress cracks that initiate from the edge of the glass. If the crack is filled properly with a high quality resin and anchored at the end I have little trouble with them running. There are some impressive videos on crack repair floating around out there but I urge you to talk with a number of technicians who actually use a system, not just the manufacturer, prior to purchasing and always get a written money back guarantee in case it does not perform as advertised. Also remember that while most people can learn to do a professional quality chip repair in a very short time with a quality system and training, long crack repair takes considerably more time and practice to master.

I find the question most technicians face is not whether or not they "can" repair a long crack successfully, but whether or not long crack repair is what they "want" or "need" to do to be successful. I repaired a 14" crack recently that changed directions a couple of times. The results were very good and the customer was extremely happy that she did not have to replace her windshield. However, due to the complexity of the damage it took about 45 minutes to repair and I don't charge more for cracks so it was not the best use of my time. On the other hand, a happy customer increases repeat business. This has always been the dilemma for me!

3. You have two basic choices. Liability only (required). Liability + Garage Keepers. The first option is less expensive but I recommend the 2nd option even for mobile technicians because it covers a vehicle that is in your care and custody whereas liability only does not. Speak to a local independent insurance agent and have him or her explain the difference. Have the agent give you a scenario in which garage keepers would cover you and liability would not. If you choose liability only RLI generally has good rates.

Sounds like you have a good niche. Marketing is generally what determines success or failure in this business. The actual repairing of windshields is the easy part!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
EMCAutoGlass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Questions about startup

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

Just a few thoughts:
1) If you're only looking for part-time, then insurance referrals may actually work well for you. Register with Harmon Solutions Group (HSG) and Netcost/Gerber. Depending on your area, you'll probably get 1-4 referrals per week. Billing is really easy and free with both of these companies. Getting business takes a lot of work, and is a full-time job itself. Websites, Yellow Pages, and various other types of advertisement don't work, trust me. The only way to get retail work is by pounding the pavement. Same goes for getting fleet work.
2) When just starting out, go with a basic kit and focus on standard chips. Get proficient with this and decide whether or not you like the business before getting into crack repairs. They are a lot more work, and as Brent said, take a lot of experience to do them right. Find a local replacement shop for the cracks and see if they'll give you a kick-back for the referrals.
3) The insurance networks generally require you to have $500,000 liability insurance, which you can find for around $200/year. Any insurance agent can get you quotes.

Bottom line, try to get training from the manufacturer and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!
-Marty