Florida Start up Q's

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
brctom1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Florida Start up Q's

Post by brctom1 »

Anyone in Florida doing business ?
I would like to know what hoops you have to jump through for licensing if any.
Also opinions on DBA, LLC, C or S Corp.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Florida Start up Q's

Post by t4k »

I think Florida is one of the states that allows for free replacements if your customer carries comprehensive insurance.
screenman

Post by screenman »

What percentage of vehicles have that?
brctom1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by brctom1 »

That is correct, but insurance companies still would rather repair rather than replace if possible $50 vs. $300 +.

Screenman, I believe it is covered by comprehensive/ full coverage insurance.

Like anywhere in the U.S., I am sure most of the cars on the road have some sort of loan and are required to have full coverage ins.. People here in this country have been conditioned that they need to trade in the vehicle every 3 to 4 years and as a result always have a car loan (ball and chain).
screenman

Post by screenman »

Only 1/3 of vehicles over here have glass cover, which is why I concentrate on the bigger market, those that do not. I do not mean those that cannot afford it, but fleets that cannot get it. Open your horizons to the bigger deal, it is not in one off private customers they are in my opinion to expensive to service. So get into those companies with 200+ vehicles with no glass cover, as that is where the money is.
t4k

Post by t4k »

screenman wrote:What percentage of vehicles have that?
Probably 85%-90%. If you have your vehicle financed, you must carry full coverage.
screenman

Post by screenman »

You can have full cover without glass though. Unless I am mistaken your fleet vehicles out there will carry the same insurance that ours do.
t4k

Post by t4k »

screenman wrote:You can have full cover without glass though.
Not in Florida
screenman

Post by screenman »

t4k wrote:
screenman wrote:You can have full cover without glass though.
Not in Florida
So does that mean all fleet vehicles have glass cover?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have a friend that went to Florida years ago with the idea of starting a WSR business. He told me that the local vehicles didn't have many chips, the roads were covered with shells and not gravel. I don't know if this is true but it seems reasonable. Also, it is a zero deductible state, which means that insurance companies are forced by statute to replace damaged windshields if the customers want that done. Many will still want repair so as not to have the hassle of a replacement but this kind of thing has to cut down on the volume of chips that are repaired in a repair only business. I don't have any idea if fleet vehicles are treated the same, you should check that out.

I would do a survey in parking lots and see what percentage of cars have chips, and find out if it is nearly the same as other states or is lower.

The good news is that there are millions (probably) of snowbirds that drive down from the north every winter and have their cars insured in other states. This is probably where you should concentrate your efforts in the winter months if you are not going after commercial accounts. These vehicles have a lot of chips, and motorhomes are especially vulnerable to them. They also have the most expensive windshields. at least for the most part, and so the owner is motivated to do repairs. Saving a $175 car windshield is one thing, saving a $2,500 windshield is something else altogether. If you fix long cracks on these you will be the hero of the day to the owner and he will tell others. Of course if you do poor jobs fixing chips the word will get around too. Get some training and a lot of practice.