Can You Open a WSR Company if you're Disabled

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Toby 1 kenobi
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Can You Open a WSR Company if you're Disabled

Post by Toby 1 kenobi »

Hi folks, I'm based in the UK and suffer with multiple illness; the main ones being crohn's disease and ankyolosing spondalosis (excuse spelling because I'm dyslexic, but I can spell that really well strangely enough. For those that don't know it means lots of number 2s and a twisted spine that inflames. I don't do too well in the cold but I'm willing to find a way. I'm wanting to hear from others who are doing this kind of work, while handling illness. I was in hospital in 2004 when I practically dropped dead at work, now no one will hire me.

With meds I can now manage my illness making me far more reliable, and I reckon fleet inspections would be the way to go? Any tips from ppl who have to adjust their work and how they modify if they do, their own procedures?

I was also thinking further down the line, if I'm unwell to point where I can't work, how to continue the business?? I have trust issues most of the time.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Can You Open a WSR Company if you're Disabled

Post by t4k »

In some way, we all have some disabilities as we age. If you can stand and walk without too much pain, you should be fine. I do fleets and I walk an average of 4-5 miles per day, per my pedometer app. The movement involved in your new business may be just what you need to get a bit more mobile. Good Luck!!
screenman

Post by screenman »

Without meeting you I would hesitate to give an answer, WSR is not very physical however up and down the steps to reach a truck screen can cause a few problems.

Sales and maketing is something we spend a lot of our time doing, which again is not very physical. Maybe as time goes on you can do that part of the business and employ somebody to do the physical work.

Have you looked at any grants available to help start your venture, I have trained many people who have been given financial help is different ways.

Not sure how you overcome trust issue's, but when I employed people it did not worry me if they earned a few shillings on the side as long as they made money for the company every week.
Toby 1 kenobi
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Toby 1 kenobi »

Screenman, thanks for the responses. You've answered every question, and to be honest it's your posts I keep reading with you being UK based.

Sales I can do all day long, I used to collect "NO!" for £6k a month commission. (My illness is probably Karma lol)

Up and down a step ladder? Got to admit, I've yet to address my concerns with that. Has Health and Safety regulations got to the industry? Like window washers are supposed to wear a harness etc.?

I'll look into the grant thing. I had an off the record word with my bank manager who told me the same a couple of days ago. Wasn't sure where to start because everyone official tries to talk me out of doing anything, and I mean anything. (Seriously, I'm starting to think THEY get paid commission.)

Walking that far may cause some issues T4K, (thanks 4 responding) I'll be of to pain clinic to see what I can do to maintain a pace. I developed something called Sacroillitos, inflammation of the hips; and I got that interviewing people in the street. (Yes people, I'm sorry, I was a professional annoyance.) But it does mean I have to be very careful with what's left of them.
screenman

Post by screenman »

It would not be hard to find a market that suits your abilities, garages would be a nice one. All I would say is make sure you can do the job well first as you will soon be found out otherwise.