State Farm Insurance problems

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Nelson
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nelson »

OK I finally did it. I did not ask the customer to pay for the repair and I said that we would have there insurance pay for it. I usally get paid for the repair and have the customer send a copy of the bill to their insurance company to get the money back. Well this time I tried it with the insurance company. The customer was happy and we called the insurance company for approval before I started. The customer called State Farm, I wanted to do it but they did not want me to. When she got them on the phone they said that she would have to call LYNKs so she got the number and called them. After about 10 min of being put on hold and back and forth from me to her to LYNKs she finaly said that they told her that since I was not on there approved list that she should use someone else. I was very mad to say the least. If I had just done it my normal way I would have money in my hand but NO!!! I called LYNKs after I left and talked to a supervisor and they said that they are supposed to read a script that tells the insured that they are about to use a person that is not recomended. What???????????? I am not recomeded!!!! Well to be a recomended person I have to fill out there paperwork and get their approved fee for repairs. Well I guess all of you know that but isn't that steering telling them not to use me? I was very mad and I am going back to my old way. Never have I been told no except this time. I am mad. What should I do? What can I do?
desertstars

NWRA

Post by desertstars »

Nelson, nelson, nelson.

What can I say to relieve you of your frustation and pain other than to suggest that you review some of the many past posts in regard to this very subject?

In this particular case under these particular circumstances, you could have direct-billed the agent or insurance company national glass desk for whatever you wanted to charge and then see what they would have payed you.

(I've been curious about that in the past and have recently heard--get this--the network receives $28 for each repair they bill. Hard to believe and I intend to do some deeper research.)

You could have billed through Lynx without an authorization number at their rates either through a third party EDi, mail, or a direct fax.

Just make sure w/s repair is covered in the first place.

Questions?

A surfeit of answers about networks in the archives.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Yes I have read plenty on networks and I am not going to get involved with them. I think that I am going to stick with the way I have been doing it and leave it up to the customer to get reimbersed from their insurance company.

I still don't think it is fair for them to make it hard on the insured to get their windshield fixed.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

good lord had no one else had these problems?
Pat

Post by Pat »

For one had never had no problems get in the money from State Farm insurance and any other insurance companies. When I decided to chase insurance jobs I joined, the network is this way I did not have no problems billing insurance company. Now I no that I could make more money, If I directly invoice the insurance companies. If you do not want to join the network and do it there away what not take down all their insurance information and do the job and then call and fax to the insurance agent for payment.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Each Insurance compnay has thier own way of handleing claims and you do have to learn how they work to expidite the process. Stae Farm wants you to join thier list and you must show proof of insurance yourself to join. That said the easiest way to do a state farm claim if your not on thier list is to collect up front and provide the customer with a reciept. I use Act they call get an aproval stay online to stop the your not on our list steer and send the customer a bill with a SASE stae farm sends the customer the check custopmer signs it puts it in SASE and its done. Unfortunatly this way involves alot of trust on your part that the customer will send the check back rather than cashing it. If you have set them up right and done your meet and greet correctly so that the customer likes you most will send the check. If you are scruffy and unimpressive and havnt been likable or unprofessional a huge percentage wont return the check. I find for myself 1 in 30 gets lost along the way and thats usually the repair that didnt visually look much better after its done.
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A BETTER LIVING IN THIS BUISNESS YOU MUST LEARN TO DEAL WITH THE INSURANCE WIENIES!!!!
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I believe that Nelson was more concerned with the blatant steering attempts than the actual collection of funds.

It seems as if litigation, legislation and threats all fail to change the methods of those that are habitual/blatant violators. Ergo, the only "weapon" that we have in our arsenal that is presently effective is Consumer Education.

Funny, but two of the gals that work with my wife needed repairs. I explained the potential steering situation to them and both experienced an attempt to steer. These gals NEVER put up with excrement like that and actually did something about it. They both contacted their agents and provided the claim numbers and name of the person that attempted to steer them. Then, they threatened to change their insurance to another company if they do not receive a written explanation as to why their present company allows their representatives to lie to them and try and force them to a repair shop that they did not want =D>

Hmm... this gives me an idea :-k
dgarza

Post by dgarza »

holy cow I love those women! I wish everybody could do that. I hope that makes it up the ladder and heads roll :o ok ok i know its wishfill thinking but wouldnt it be grand :!:
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Dave you got it. I am upset and want to know if anyone else has had this happen to them. I understand how to collect my money and have made lots more by not trying to use insurance money. I just thought that I would try to do it using the insurance company this time. I had MY customer told not to use me. That is wrong. They were told to use one of their people. It was my advertising that got this person to call me. It was my aditude on the phone that got me the job. It was State Farm that told them to go elsewere. I do excellent work and I believe that the customer now has a windshield repair that is not as good as it could have been. I am upset with the steering that is happening and will not deal with insurance the way I did with this one anymore. I will not give State Farm or any other insurance company the opportunity to steer my customer to someone else.

Nelson
paintlessplus

Post by paintlessplus »

Nelson, If you want to get even, why not print up a coupon offering a free repair (no gimmicks) to give to your steered customer for the next time he gets a chip. The only requirement would be proof of switching insurance companies or an online comparison quote from GEICO? See how they like to get steered :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: By the way if they do switch, offer to call his agent with the good news , and send a follow-up letter with your business card and another coupon attached. \:D/ Bob :lol: :lol: :lol: