What drill do you use?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
fhburris
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What drill do you use?

Post by fhburris »

What type/brand drill do you use?
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What drill do you use?

Post by Dave M »

I use a Dremel 7300. One for drilling and one which has a polishing wheel attached. I won't say where I purchased but can be emailed.
FYI...If you also use a cordless Dremel that over time (0ne year) seems to lose its charge after a few uses, it's likely because the little foam piece under the batteries has lost its firmness. If you separate the bottom of the battery pack to reveal the batteries you'll see a small piece of stiff foam. If you cut another piece of same sort of material and add it to the other piece.....voila, just like a new battery pack. You'll notice the battery pack with fit tighter into the drill. Do this at your own risk!!
fhburris
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by fhburris »

Being an old Novus guy, I used their 12V plug-in drill for a long time. Nice drill - good RPM speed, momentary switch is a good feature, 8' cord for a good working length, also fits nice in your hand. Would like to find a good replacement for that drill if anyone has a good idea.

Just wondering what the group consensus is on the "best" drill for WSR?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

My personal preference is the Dremel 7300 4.8V cordless 2 speed drill. I find the high speed (13,000 rpm) is just about perfect for fast drilling and the low speed works well for cleaning crushed glass out of a large pit. Anything running above 15,000 rpm tends to burn up burs too quickly and a freshly charged battery lasts for far more repairs than you would ever drill in one day so anything with a bigger battery just adds unnecessary size, weight and bulk and with the money you save you could buy an extra battery for a backup as your primary battery ages and begins to discharge faster. I really like not messing with a cord and find that once you get in the habit of charging at the end of each day or whenever you won't be using them for a few days the batteries last a very long time. They are readily available in most hardware stores but do not include a collet to fit the carbide burs that most of us use in the windshield repair industry. Delta Kits sells this drill with the proper size collet included. Our part number is 14000.

If you like the 12V corded models, Delta Kits sells a 12V Drill featuring a momentary on/off switch, keyless chuck, heavy duty 12' cord with cigarette lighter plug that a lot of the Novus guys really seem to like. It runs at 8500 rpms. It's not currently listed on our website but we do keep them in stock and they are competitively priced. The part number is 14050 if you are interested.

Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.