Free VS. No-Cost

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Scott Tyner

Post by Scott Tyner »

For those of you that are using any type of media to advertise your business such as print ads, brochures, radio, etc., you might want to try a small change in your wording.

After running several tests, I found that by making just one simple change in the wording, I received a great deal more calls.

Instead of "FREE WINDSHIELD REPAIR" I changed it to "NO-COST WINDSHIELD REPAIR."

Although "no-cost=free," the only thing I can figure is that people are much more skeptical of the word FREE.

I'd be interested to know if any of you have also tried this and the results you got.

Scott
paintlessplus

Free VS. No-Cost

Post by paintlessplus »

Scott , This is a very interesting point- I've struggled with putting the large words FREE on the side of my truck also. Looks kind of tacky or cheesy to say the least. Its just that nowadays you see so many large corporations with promotions such as "try AOL for FREE" "friends fly FREE" ect. that I figured it must be the way to go. I think certain words or catch phrases tend to get peoples attention and make them ponder the meaning for a while. As for me, I'll keep the FREE on my truck, along with the disclaimer "with insurance ask for details" as an attention getter. 8) Bob
txfirefighter

Post by txfirefighter »

I get alot of business from the word Free on my hats, shirts and on my vehicle.
Scott Tyner

Post by Scott Tyner »

I agree with you TX that the word "FREE" works. And if it's working as good as you say for you, there's no need to fix something that's not broken.

I also get a good response by using "FREE" in my ads, but being the type of person who is always looking for better results from my advertising, I like to try different things.

I just thought I'd pass this tip along for those who might be struggling with their advertising and want to try a low-cost alternative. I wouldn't suggest to anyone to go out and change everything without trying a small test ad for about 4-weeks first.

Then they could compare the results.

Scott
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Coitster's BBQ date?

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

This is something wife and I strugled with for some time. We noticed a lot of big, expensive suvs and cars passed us by going to a hack with "free".
I may have mentioned before but memory kinda short, best $$'s I've spent was on Delta's "free" banner but I took it to my local banner maker and had some large red "?"'s added. I ran the hack off. :D
Bill Boone
Chips Away's 40' Monaco Exec. ,'05 Honda CR-V,
Channel 13 Graybeard
CrackedUp

Post by CrackedUp »

I have a friend who is an insurance agent. He really hates seeing anything indicating "FREE" repair. His take on it is that even though almost all insurance companies will waive the insured's deductible and pay for the repair, not all will give assurance that it will not cause an increase in the insured's premium rate. He also feels that it is false advertising because the repair is not free by any means....it still costs the insurance company. I haven't gone to including the "FREE" tactic in my advertsing because I don't want to piss off all of the area insurance agents who currently send plenty of business my way. They send me business because I run a high class, high quality business without placing a draw on something like "FREE". Many people see a business offering freebies as more of a low budget, cut rate, poor quality image.
Scott Tyner

Post by Scott Tyner »

CrackedUp,

You make a very interesting point. Everyone seems to be advertising FREE windshield repair. Maybe by not including FREE in any advertising, would be an excellent way of standing out from the crowd.

Maybe promoting "HIGH QUALITY REPAIRS and SERVICE" instead.

I'm sure one could come up with several creative ideas by just taking the time to think about it.

It seems to be working for you, so I can't see any reason it wouldn't work for others.

Scott
AutoEgo

Post by AutoEgo »

Says " Free Windshield Repair with Insurance" I did 3 jobs this week that I absolutely would not have had without this on the car. Seems to work here.

Sean
Coitster

potic-kleer

Post by Coitster »

Personaly I think no matter what you do or say someone is going to have an issue with it. I learned early on in life that no matter what I do 1/3 of the people out their just don't car, 1/3 will like what I do, and 1/3 won't like what I do. I learned not to really care about the 1/3 that didn't like what I do. I just move on and don't worry about them.
David
Coitster
Glass
Scott Tyner

Post by Scott Tyner »

How true Coitster, but it shouldn't be a reason to not try new things. Your ability to get customers from just walking into a business is one that is unmatched by most repair techs and I'm sure the envy of most.

It seems to work great for you, but there are alot of people who just don't have this ability.

All I'm saying is: Why not try new things?

Scott