Tent locations!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Texasguy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Tent locations!

Post by Texasguy »

So I'm seeking knowledge from any guys running a tent location . Any advice before I get started looking for a location . The plan is to find a location in the middle-somewhat upperclass part of town off the highway , high traffic . I'll probably target gas stations . A lot of tent guys I see here in town are set up at grocery stores , and costcos . I think those tents at grocery stores are genius ...grocery shoppers have time to spare , People can pull up , fill out paperwork and then leave their vehicle to be serviced while they shop . But idk if I'll be able to pull off a deal with a big company like that , but I will get a fresh haircut and shave , put on some nice clothes and try ! Location will mean everything so I will not settle for something sub-par . Does anyone have a sample draft of a simple contract you use with the property owner to obtain a location ?? I imagine it being very simple ... Just a one page contract stating that I have permission to use their propert in exchange for XXX$ amount . Signed and notarized ... ???
I also would love some advice for tying down my tent properly and in a way that doesn't look too tacky . I've seen some tents use barrels full of water held with ropes from the tent . I'm thinking about using a bucket full of concrete on each of the 4 legs of the tent . Also was thinking about doing the same for the signs I put up . Instead of putting stakes in the ground the put up my banner signs , I was thinking about just putting the stake in a bucket full of concrete , that way I can take them down every evening when I'm down working , and not risk my signs being tampered with ... But idk yet, just seems like a good idea if there is only concrete around to place my signs on .
Lastly , anyone wanna share warranty policies they have ? Or what you do if you crack out a windshield ? I know that a warranty is highly recommended because when using insurance , the insurance Rep always lets the customer know that they don't garentee the work and to check with the company doing your repair about a warranty . But what about crack outs ? I have seen companies that just say "sorry, we are not responsible " and go as far as putting up signs on their tents saying to have repaired at your own risk , we are not responsible for broken windshields. But I don't want to do that , especially being such a small company (one location for now) , I think a sign like that doesn't put any customer at ease at all and only makes them think twice . I have read on this forum that some of you guys will pay half the replacement cost if you crack it out . Anyone do that ? I think I like that idea and I think that's what I'll do if I crack any windshields out , I mean , how often can it happen with a brand new delta bridge, right !? Lol ... Probably not more than once or twice a year . it gets HOT here in Texas , glass is a little more unstable here than in most of the areas you guys live in , I'm sure of it ! Lol .... Anyway , anyone have any advice about running a tent location ??

Thanks
Texasguy
old school

Re: Tent locations!

Post by old school »

We set up at washes mostly and never used or needed a tent, but good luck.
I got a friend in Huston if you need help or locations he has tons...
Texasguy

Post by Texasguy »

Thanks old school .... I have given a little thought to setting up at a wash . Mainly because I started talking to an owner of a pretty busy wash and they said that they have a guy at their other wash site , but not at that one . I know how to run a tent location but don't really know how I'd go about working at a wash . I'd do repairs before they washed their cars right ? Or would I use a chip saver on the chip and then repair after the wash ? Do you guys have any sign marketing on site , or just walk around talking to people ? Maybe have a small table set up with one sign or something or what ? Any advice you got on how to work at a wash would be much appreciated, Bc I might just try to get in with a busy wash . Seems like it would be a great place to get the numbers I'm looking for . I want to get atleast 4-6 repairs a day . Do you think getting numbers like that at an average wash is doable based on your experiences at washes , oldschool?

Texasguy
Texasguy

Post by Texasguy »

Also , while I'm still online and thinking about it oldschool ... Setting up at a wash , do you have to take a high-pressure approach pitching and selling to potential customers , or is it possible to get good numbers at a wash using a low-pressured , laid back approach ? I definitely don't want to be that guy who is running around a wash lot , making people feel uncomfortable like Chipio :lol: , but I am definitely not shy about approaching or talking to people openly .
Also , it seems like working at a wash could mean more repair problems because of potential damage that can be done by water and water pressure during the car wash . Do you have to deal with a lot of that ?
And lastly , would you mind sharing with us an average amount you will pay for rent at a wash ? Pay per day , per month , per repair? I feel like if the numbers I can acquire at a wash will meet my goal of 4-6 repairs per day on average , I would feel comfortable paying 600-1000 / month , sound about right ?

Thanks again for any advice you share
Texasguy
ExpressWR

Post by ExpressWR »

Texasguy wrote:Also , while I'm still online and thinking about it oldschool ... Setting up at a wash , do you have to take a high-pressure approach pitching and selling to potential customers , or is it possible to get good numbers at a wash using a low-pressured , laid back approach ? I definitely don't want to be that guy who is running around a wash lot , making people feel uncomfortable like Chipio :lol: , but I am definitely not shy about approaching or talking to people openly .
Also , it seems like working at a wash could mean more repair problems because of potential damage that can be done by water and water pressure during the car wash . Do you have to deal with a lot of that ?
And lastly , would you mind sharing with us an average amount you will pay for rent at a wash ? Pay per day , per month , per repair? I feel like if the numbers I can acquire at a wash will meet my goal of 4-6 repairs per day on average , I would feel comfortable paying 600-1000 / month , sound about right ?

Thanks again for any advice you share
Texasguy
You want to pay per day or per repair as it minimizes risk and puts you in control. What happens if you pay monthly and it rains 20/30 days? Try and find a middle ground, because the location owners will be thinking the same way except in the opposite direction that you want to go. Suggest maybe daily with a minimum amount of days payed.

$25 a day = $750 a month
Offer them the $25 per day with a minimum of 16 days on site. You'll pay $400 no matter what, any amount of days over 16 in a month and you'll be paying an additional $25 per day.
Texasguy

Post by Texasguy »

Express , thanks ! That's a great idea , I like it ! Are you going to have a simple one or 2 page contract you drive around with while trying to close deals on locations you like and want ? I like daily payment a lot Bc of the weather reason , but like the monthly plan just Bc it keeps it simple and easier to close the location deal . Maybe I'll see if I can put something together on paper for multiple payment deals and show you what I come up with , that way , which ever way I purpose a deal , I'll have an already made contract that will just require some fill in the blanks to complete . Appreciate the reply a lot .

Texasguy