New start up questions

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ujslost
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

New start up questions

Post by ujslost »

Hello all my name is Jon

Im about to embark on a WSR business. I am currently trying to get my ducks in a row as I have never owned my own business. I have a few questions, and I have read through the forum here for a few hours and found alot of great advice already. Really need the run down on getting setup to accept insurance and how to go about starting a claim for the customer and getting paid afterwards.
So here goes...

1. Should I form an LLC first? If so why?
2. I need to sign up with SGC and the other 3 companies to accept insurance payments? I dont understand the benefit of doing this for some reason. Dont I have to call the insurance companies to get approval before starting a job for a customer that wants to use their insurance.
3. How long does it take these companies to pay up and do they pay weekly? Monthly?
4. What is the best advice you would give a guy in my position? I already have tools, business name and Im working on a biz license and general liability at this time.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: New start up questions

Post by screenman »

Now I have no idea of LLC etc. over there, but there is a huge in fact massive market away from billing insurance companies, in fact as time goes on it is an easier sell the getting the client to make a claim as it can effect the premiums, over here for up to 5 years from a claim.

Good luck with your business, it is a great trade and has given me a very nice living for 28 years.
ujslost

Post by ujslost »

Here most insurance companies will pay 100% of repair and not affect their premium. Atleast thats what Ive come to understand.
screenman

Post by screenman »

You might be right, it was like that over here 20 years ago. One off retail customers are expensive to service compared with fleet customers where you can turn up and do 5 or more jobs per visit.

My customer base for WSR now is split 60% fleet 39% motor trade and 1% Joe Public. It gives me work 12 months of the year.

Have you completed your training, as you did ask for advise on start up and the best I would give is be sure and confident in every type of repair you are likely to encounter.
ujslost

Post by ujslost »

Do fleet usually pay cash up front or do you have to deal with a fleet maintenance service company. Here ARI is a big one.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Most of my customers are on accounts and pay me sometime in the month after the one I invoice them in.
Timk

Post by Timk »

I would like to add to this topic of a start up business. Good morning my name is Tim and I live in Arizona and I am ready to venture out into the windshield repair business. My background is in car sales I've been doing it in the town I live in for 15 years so I know a lot of people and a lot of dealerships. I'm currently a general manager of a dealership in town and do not want to spend the rest of my life selling cars. I have seen several techs on our lots that take vacations have time to spend with families versus car salesman whose lives are dedicated to the lots. I have already spoken to a few lots here in town and the local Enterprise Rent-A-Car which have assured me they will give me a chance with their business. My questions I have to all the experienced techs out there are billing and time frames. At the current time this will not replace my current income but will add to it. Hopefully one day I can leave the car lot as a sales person and visit as a tech

1) Billing
How do you guys bill? Is there one set price for the first repair then if there are multiple repairs on the same glass does the price drop after the first one.

2) Time per repair
What is the general time frame to do a single repair? The reason I ask this question is that my day is consumed from 8 to 530 on the lot so these repairs will be on my weekends off and mornings or evenings.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and by the way purchasing a Delta System today. Thanks in advance Tim
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Cash pricing varies per region but the national average for a windshield repair is $55, and typically a windshield can be repaired in 15 minutes.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.