Diamond vs. Safelite

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

Someone had expressed interest in this story a week or so ago, Here is the latest.

Diamond Triumph Calls Safelite's New Claims `Meritless Smokescreen'
Wednesday April 28, 5:34 pm ET

KINGSTON, Pa., April 28 /PRNewswire/ -- In a press release yesterday, Safelite Glass Corp. announced its filing of new counterclaims in the ongoing lawsuit brought against it by Diamond Triumph Auto Glass, Inc. Diamond Triumph responded today.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Safelite's new counterclaims do not have any merit," said Michael Sumsky, Diamond Triumph's President and General Counsel. "We believe this is another in a series of attempts by Safelite and its attorneys to distract the court and the public from the legitimate issues of our lawsuit - Safelite's unlawful conduct and the damage it has caused Diamond Triumph. We are not distracted, however, and will continue to pursue our case - a case we believe we will win."

Given the fact that the case has been pending for over two years, Diamond finds the timing of Safelite's allegations curious. "Had Safelite believed there was any merit to these allegations, they should have raised them in response to our original complaint. This delay speaks volumes.

"As to these new counterclaims themselves, we are working with our attorneys and will take action with the court appropriate for such meritless allegations."

Diamond Triumph filed this lawsuit against Safelite in March 2002, in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, alleging that Safelite damaged Diamond Triumph's business by its violation of various federal and state unfair competition laws.

Diamond Triumph Auto Glass, Inc. headquartered in Kingston, PA, is a leading provider of automotive glass replacement and repair services. Diamond Triumph currently operates 271 company owned automotive glass service centers, approximately 1,100 mobile installation vehicles and six distribution centers in 46 states. For more information about Diamond Triumph, visit the website at http://www.diamondtriumph.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Diamond Triumph Auto Glass, Inc.
AutoEgo

Post by AutoEgo »

Used to work for Diamond. They have a very legitimate case! I really hope they win.

Sean
mgburks
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by mgburks »

What exactly is Diamonds claim with Safelite? Are they steering the customer away from Diamond? I expirienced this repeatedly this week (we started one week ago when we bought a yellow page ad from a company that went out of business and forwarded the number to our phone (marketing number) ).WE are getting lots of business from our advertising expenditure but have lost some because of this. You can explain all this to the customer but they don't want any hassles so alot of times will go with someone on the approved list. Seems to me this should be illegal. Has any one else have any trouble like this? Is it easier just to get on the aproved list? I think we should be able to operate our businesses the way we want but it seems like the pressure to go along with this is so great that it's not worth fighting it. But I mean I don't like being told what I can or can't charge for parts and service. It looks like you can still make money with services like Lynx but it definitely slims down your profit margin. Any Comments?
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Delta Kits »

mgburks,

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a little information to read about the suit.

http://www.glasslinks.com/newsinfo/dt_safelite1.htm
Delta Kits, Inc.
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

If you use the search button and type in steering you will find sories and opinions enough to keep you busy reading for a few hours.
Seems to me this should be illegal.
Yes it is in most states.