Small surface chips ~1mm

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Can these be made less noticeable with just resin application?

Barry
StarQuest

Small surface chips ~1mm

Post by StarQuest »

Barry,

You need to be more specific! Do you mean the little marks in the glass that don't have any signs of cracks?
Barry

Post by Barry »

StarQuest,

Yes, as you described, no signs of cracks or radiating marks, the typical small pebble nick. I have a couple of these which I wouldn't have thought about doing anything about until I learned of these resin repair techniques. I was wondering if these small blemishes could be made less obvious. Your advice would be appreciated.

Barry
dgarza
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by dgarza »

Yes they would if you can get the pit resin to stay in them. Even though I haven
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I find if you rough up the edge a little with your probe apply a small amount of resin let it set and then apply the pit resin it seems to stick better
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Barry,

I basically use the same method as GlassStarz. I'll carefully use my dremel to rough up the pit. Apply drop of resin, scrape excess, pit fill then just cure and polish.

If you ever have the chance to get some rental car business, they will always pay to have these cleaned up prior to turnback. Easy money!

Also remember if your doing a insurance job you can charge for a additional repair on these. When I have a cash customer I normally won't charge extra for these unless they have a bunch of them.
Barry

Post by Barry »

StarQuest, GlassStarz and dgarza,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I'm not in the windshield repair field, it's just something I wanted to do for my car's windshield when I learned of this type of repair.

I have purchased the Delta resins, probe and accesories you have recommended. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Best regards, and thanks again,
Barry
magicogar

POI diameter

Post by magicogar »

Hmmm...how about making a bullseye out of that chip and do it like a regular repair or drill it big enough to have enough surface area for the pit fill to bond to. That I think will hold like the rest of the cracks you've repaired. Somebody mentioned that sometimes you gotta make it worst before it'll be better.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I do these all the time. I have a 1973 play car and it has tons of them on it. It is the original windshield and it looks great now. I use my probe to scratch the pit. I go back and forth very fast about 30 to 40 times. This removes any loose glass and makes it so the pit filler will stick. I then clean it by spraying glass cleaner near but not on the repair area. Then I wipe the glass cleaner around and then over the area of repair. This gets out all the small fragements and glass dust that I just made. I then apply a very small drop of pit filler just above the repair area. I shade it and let it slowly roll into the repair pit. Then I apply my pit cure plastic to it. I let it set and scrape it clean. Polish if needed. This has worked on my own cars and like I said I sell it all the time.

Nelson
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Nelson,

How long has it lasted so far on your play car?
Delta Kits, Inc.