ACID RAIN

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
the big welshman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

ACID RAIN

Post by the big welshman »

Sirs are there any remedies in removing Acid Rain from a windshield or a car body :roll: :roll: :!: :roll:
screenman

Re: ACID RAIN

Post by screenman »

Must admit it is something I have never come across over here, we do though get the effects of hard water left on cars mainly after washing the car and not drying it off. For this I have had good results using a clay cloth or a clay bar this does though take time and effort.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

Yes there is. I use GW polishing equipment.
screenman

Post by screenman »

For paintwork? are you sure.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

What most people call acid rain is actually mineral deposits caused by allowing hard water to dry on glass, paint, chrome, etc. Where you typically see this is when car lots spray the dust of cars every moring with hard water and then just allow it to dry, or when a sprinkler over shoots a lawn and comes in contact with a car or windows in a commercial building. That's not to say that rain does not also cause the same type of damage, but more often than not it is from hard water coming from the ground, not the air.

In most cases Delta Kits Kreme n Kleen, which is also sold under other brand names, works very well to remove mineral deposits from glass. If that doesn't work you can sometimes buff out the spots using pumice or cerium oxide and a rotary buffer with a lambs wool pad, or as sunshine said, GW or some other brand of polishing equipment and various different polishing products.

Now the quick, and sometimes the most effective, way to remove mineral deposits that are etched into the glass is by using Hydrofluoric acid. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS, because it is a very dangerous chemical and may cause additional damage to glass, paint, metal, and just about everything else if not used correctly but it does work like nothing else I have ever tried. I used to use it to make heavy duty truck washing chemicals and for removing mineral deposits from glass but I was trained how and when to use it. CRL water spot remover is Hydrofluoric acid but it is also sold under other names for various different purposes.

I would not use Kreem n Kleen on paint and I would be very careful using any of the other methods used above on both paint and glass, but especially on paint. I'm not a paint expert so I always take my car to someone who is if I have an issue with the paint. Oven cleaner is amazing for safely removing almost anything from chrome, especially melted rubber or plastic, although I can't say I have ever tried removing water spots with it.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

GW for glass damage!
Paint would require some buffing and possible light sanding depending on the severity of the damage.
No GW on the paint SM!