Glass Scratch Repair

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

I have just purchased the following products from Delta Kits:
-PH1 Glass Scratch Repair Polishing Wheel
-CO1 Glass Polishing Compound

I have a few scratches on the front passenger window which is tampered glass.

The scratches are not deep as you can not feel them with your finger nail.

I have a few questions

The instructions say to apply the spinning polishing wheel with the cerium oxide paste to the glass in "a scrubbing or ironing motion, never just back-and-forth."

Could someone who has used this polishing wheel with the cerium oxide elaborate/explain the above instructions?

How much of the cerium oxide paste do I have to apply to the felt polishing wheel, i.e. a thick layer or a thin layer?

How much pressure do I need to apply to the glass while polishing it and for how long?

The instructions also state to "use the corner of the polishing wheel rather than the flat surface." Why?

What is the best way to clean the felt polishing wheel after using it?

How easy is it to distort the glass with the felt polishing wheel?

Do you have any other helpful hints or tricks in removing scratches from glass using the felt polishing wheel and the cerium oxide?

I apologize for all these questions but I don't want to damage the glass in the process of polishing out the scratches.

I will be grateful for any help.
Nelson
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nelson »

I hate glass scratch removal. Read some of my posts on it. I do not use the Delta system so I can not help you with instructions on use of it but I do know that tempered glass is easy to break. If you get to much heat or pressure......pop. Most scratches in laminated glass is hard to get out and if you do get it so you can not see the scratch you distort the windshield. I started charging to much for the process and you can get a new windshield installed for almost what I charge. This is of course on a car. RV's and other specialty windshields are much more expensive and I still get them. I think scratch removal sucks.

Nelson
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Amatuer,

Just give Delta a call and I'm sure that any of the nice folks there would be happy to talk you through the process:)