Long Crack Repair with Delta kits

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RCRNR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Long Crack Repair with Delta kits

Post by RCRNR »

I am new to doing crack repair over 6 inches the company I worked for in the past would only let us terminate long cracks. I have an old car in my garage that has a crack the length of the windshield impact point being dead center. I attempted to practice on it the way I saw on the delta kits video for cracks but the crack only filled approx. 4 inches in each direction from the impact point I tried drop of resin just before it but it would not fill any further. How far will the resin fill a crack and do I need to drill a new hole every 5 inches to fill it. Also I have seen crack repair systems online made in Colorado was wondering if that would be a better option for longer cracks.
kennycrane
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Long Crack Repair with Delta kits

Post by kennycrane »

I have done many of them up to 18-20 inches long, only if they are new I wont touch them if they have been there a while. I anchor them at the end of the crack and then I determine which end that I will start at. I do not want my resin to run downhill ahead of me so I try to work uphill filling the crack sometimes you will have to put pressure on the inside or use a crack expander to get the crack to fill. Never would I repair one in front of the drivers view. I have been very successful at doing those types of repairs, just have to let customer know that it is not a miracle.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Long Crack Repair with Delta kits

Post by Nomad »

I use a 2 1/2 inch flip lever type suction cup from Harbor Freight, I think about $2.50 or so. I butter it up with hand lotion and place it on one side of the crack, then when I'm filling the crack I lift up on the cup, sometimes quite forcefully. This does the same thing as pushing from the inside but allows better control, I don't release the pull on the cup until the crack is full then release gently after all bridges etc are off the windshield. I drill and pop a termination hole first and use the slide hammer to break the crack into the hole if it isn't already there. Drill and pop another hole about an inch or so back from the end and after filling the end move to the second hole and fill from there. If the crack jumps the termination hole go ahead and fill and cure like normal; after the resin is cured then everything will be stable enough to drill a new termination hole.