Fixing those tiny annoying nicks

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Robsy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Fixing those tiny annoying nicks

Post by Robsy »

Had windshield replaced in my acura tl 2 weeks ago. Today i heard a couple of dings going down interstate and noticed 5-6 tiny nicks in my windshield. Not cracks and i doubt they would spread any but when the sun hita just right they shine and are just annoying. Ive read to stay away from the do it yourself kits. Just wondering can these be repaired or at least somewhat fixed? Or just deal with it?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Fixing those tiny annoying nicks

Post by Brent Deines »

If you are not 100% sure they are only surface chips and will not crack out I recommend having a local professional give you their opinion, or if you can post clear enough photographs here we might be able to tell you if you "need" to have the damage repaired or if it just a cosmetic issue.

Even surface pits which are typically just cosmetic damage can be filled with resin, scraped smooth with the surface of the glass, and polished, to reduce shine and improve the cosmetics so that is something to consider.

Some professionals don't charge for surface pit repairs, some charge full price, and some charge somewhere in between for what is a very quick and easy repair. I would like to think that any professional you take your car to would be honest and have the knowedge and skills to do what is best for you but unfortunately there are some so-called professionals that will try to sell you on a repair that you don't need so if you can post a high quality picture showing the damage you can at least get some unbiased opinions.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.