Removing rearview mirror?

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: Calling it quits

Post by Anonymous »

I need to remove the rearview buttom attached to the windshield of my '84 Chevy truck. It feel off and I put it back on with adhesive the wrong way - I've tried a hair dryer and nail polish remover but neither one worked. Is there any way to get this off without breaking my windshield?
Anonymous

Removing rearview mirror?

Post by Anonymous »

Contact the manufacturer of the adhesive that you had used. They are probably the only ones that can really advise on your particular situation since they are most familiar with the properties of their product.
Anonymous

Re: Removing rearview mirror?

Post by Anonymous »

It says on the packaging that you should not try to remove the button from the windshield. You should just place another one on top of the exisiting button. I just thought their must be some way to remove this from the windshield. Thanks
Anonymous

Re: Removing rearview mirror

Post by Anonymous »

You need to heat the bracket with a small butane torch. Use a pair of pliers to hold the bracket and aim the torch directley at the bracket. Do not angle the torch or you may break the w/shield. Don't force the bracket off, let the heat do the work.
When the bracket is hot enough it will twist off. Let it cool and reinstall the bracket.