New to business.

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

long term satisfaction

Post by Anonymous »

I have had my kit for a few months now and have yet to use it out of fear of messing someone's windshield up. How have people gotten practice before going ahead on to a customer's car? I also viewed a post about heat harming the kit. Is this true because it has been stored in my vehicle since mid-summer. Thanks for any input.
Anonymous

New to business.

Post by Anonymous »

Tracy, the best way to practice to build confidence without fear of harming a person's windshield is to go to a replacement shop and ask for a couple scrap windshields. Take them home, set them up in a rack and have at it!.... If you dont have a bull-eye maker for making practice bull's eyes, get one. They are nothing more than a steel bead about the size of a pea with a hole in it, threaded onto a rubber band. But if you cant find a steel bead... just get a hardware nut, with a small center hole and put that on a rubber band. Put one loop of the rubber band over your first finger, the other over your thumb, snap the bead or nut to produce a bull's eye on the glass. A spring-loaded center punch is what I use to make practice stars. Practice, practice, practice. Practice drilling too. I recommend you drill through to the laminate a number of times too. That way you will have the feel of it, and will better be able to gauge when to stop befor you hit it. Practice drilling a popping mini-bull's eyes at the ends of cracks. On a scrap windshield, you can create cracks specifically for the purpose of stopping them.

It sounds to me as if you didnt receive training with the purchase of your kit? If training is not an option for you, at least be sure you have the training videos for your equipment, and watch them over and over. Each time you will see something you missed before.

I dont recommend leaving the equipment in the hot or cold for extended periods. The extreme temps may cause damage to the seals, and may have an adverse affect on the resins. I was taught that although UV light is the catylist for curing the resin in the repair, high heat can also cause resin to begin to harden. That isnt something I want to find out the hard way, so I am careful with my resins. Until you are using your equipment regularly, I suggest you store it in a cool, dry place. Also, be sure to clean the equipment prior to storing it. Whether you are considering windshield repair as a full-time profession, or for part-time income, you will want to protect your equipment. Without your equipment you are out of business.

re:new to business

Post by Guest »

I agree with gold star...

Most windshield repair equipment suppliers offer hands on training, and if at all feasible for you, I suggest attending. While not entirely necessary, it does reduce the learning curve and allows you to feel more comfortable with your repairs.

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
jhiggins@deltakits.com
http://www.deltakits.com