Vehicles without windshield molding

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
mafsu

Vehicles without windshield molding

Post by mafsu »

I just bought a Chevy Cobalt. They come without any molding around the edge of the windshield. As do the Chevy Malibu and some foreign made vehicles. Does this make installation easier or more difficult? Do these cars require more attention to detail, since there is no molding to cover up the globs of adhesive I've seen in some installs?
Now a question maybe Jeff can answer. Will this cause seperation of the laminate at the edge of the windshield since the pvb is exposed? I'm guessing it won't but just had to ask, because of the spalling debate of a couple years ago.
StarQuest

Re: Vehicles without windshield molding

Post by StarQuest »

Mafsu,

I haven't had the chance to see a Chevy Cobalt shield up close but I'd venture to say they have a inside molding on the glass which covers visable urethane bead. Not sure why the car manufactures have chosen this design but I think it has to do with either aero dynamics or simply cosmetics. It's a much cleaner look. As far as cutting out......the installer has to be very careful not scratching the pianted outer pinchwell surface, mainly because you no longer have a molding to cover up your errors.

I was thinking of getting one of these cars.......let me know how you like it Mafsu;)
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

It does have an inner molding. I love the car. Got it Friday and hit 1000 miles today. Averaging 32mpg. You're right it is a much cleaner look. Here are some pics of the car.
http://www.ohnonotagain.com/cobalt1.jpg
http://www.ohnonotagain.com/cobalt2.jpg
http://www.ohnonotagain.com/cobalt3.jpg
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Masfu,

That's sweet! You need to throw some tint on that car to make it look sweeter....35% on front doors and limo or 20% on quarters and back. Can you tell I used to run a tint shop? ;)

Is that a automatic or five speed getting you 32 MPG?
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

That's exactly what I intend to do with the windows. I was just talking with my neighbor, who's a detective about how much is legal on the side. He also used to work at a tint shop. It's an auto. I could have gotten a supercharged model but they are only available in 5 speed. If I was 20 I wouldn't mind shifting gears in heavy traffic. Some guys I've talked to online are getting 34-36 highway in autos after a few thousand miles.
Paranoia
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Paranoia »

Sorry about bringing up old topics.

I did my first Cobalt Windshield today.
It does have a molding, however it doesn't really cover a whole lot.
The molding isn't one that you push on to the glass. It actually comes from the factory glued to the backside of the glass.
It doesn't cover much but it does fill in the edges around the glass presuming to reduce air noise maybe?

The installation of this windshield is fairly simple too.
06' Chev Cobalt

Simple cold knifes around The top 3 sides Carefull not to scratch the paint as the molding don't cover much.

The cowl 2 push pins Left and Right side.
There is rubber pieces that connect the fender to the cowl they come off.
This makes it easier to take the cowl off.

The windshield wipers were the only pain in the butt.
They acted like those darn TrailBlazers (DW 1447).
13MM nut

No stops very little room for adjustment. There is a possability of sqeeze out if you over glue it.

Standard mirror tool works.

Note: From the factory they have little tabs at the top corners that set into the frame of the car to help set the windshield.
The perticular windshield I had didn't, I was kinda disapointed but eh.
This was also my first Cobalt so the problem with windshield wipers might not be an every time thing.

Some Images you might like to view.
WARNING: High Quality Picures With LOW Quality Editing :D (Paintshop)

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... ov19on.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... uh11lt.jpg
WindShield Installer / HardCoRe Gamer

I work hardcore I play hardcore.
http://www.virusclan.org
The Infection Starts Here
bill4117

Post by bill4117 »

if anyone is interested they now make 2 different style cold knife blades to deal ith moldingledd shields. first one has (i believe) a blue teflon based coating that wont scratch paint. the other actually has plastic molded onto the verticle shaft of the blade. i personally take a new blade and after thinning out the cutting edge with a bench grinder i then thin out the vertical shaft. after which i wrap it in tape.
just my two cents
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

Working in the UK I would be interested to know your views on the use of wire for cutting out. Square section wire is being used more often in the UK because of the increasingly high risk of damaging panels
Paranoia

Post by Paranoia »

Its getting to the point where inorder to do a windshield your going to have to keep it in a body shop to fix all the stuff that happens in a windshield replacement. When they start putting glass right next to the frame. 0 Space.

As far as wire goes.. I feel anything to get the job done right without damaging other things.
WindShield Installer / HardCoRe Gamer

I work hardcore I play hardcore.
http://www.virusclan.org
The Infection Starts Here
DragonFly

Post by DragonFly »

I have not done a colbolt yet but I've done the G6 2d and the new Malibu a few time and have not had a problem. What i use is something called bearing tape. One side is sticky and the other side is something very slick. Not to thick, but strong enough that a cold knife won't cut or scrape through it. I use this tape on all the dodges with out top molding and on almost every volkwagon and audi car where the shield lays right next to the pinch weld. I just clear away any moldings and lay the tape next to the pinch weld. And get a fiber stick smooth it out and cold knife away. Then i get the shield out and trim, and if i need to prime i just leave the tape there, and prime next to it. Peel off the tape and if the primer got a bit to high its on the tape tnot the pinch weld. No problems!!! Since iv'e been doing that i don't have to worrie about shield next to the pinch weld.