Vehicles without windshield molding

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
I_Hate_Butyl_Tape

Re: Vehicles without windshield molding

Post by I_Hate_Butyl_Tape »

[quote="Paranoia"]Sorry about bringing up old topics.

I did my first Cobalt Windshield today.
It does have a molding, however it doesn't really cover a whole lot.
The molding isn't one that you push on to the glass. It actually comes from the factory glued to the backside of the glass.
It doesn't cover much but it does fill in the edges around the glass presuming to reduce air noise maybe?

The installation of this windshield is fairly simple too.
06' Chev Cobalt

Simple cold knifes around The top 3 sides Carefull not to scratch the paint as the molding don't cover much.

The cowl 2 push pins Left and Right side.
There is rubber pieces that connect the fender to the cowl they come off.
This makes it easier to take the cowl off.

The windshield wipers were the only pain in the butt.
They acted like those darn TrailBlazers (DW 1447).
13MM nut

No stops very little room for adjustment. There is a possability of sqeeze out if you over glue it.

Standard mirror tool works.

Note: From the factory they have little tabs at the top corners that set into the frame of the car to help set the windshield.
The perticular windshield I had didn't, I was kinda disapointed but eh.
This was also my first Cobalt so the problem with windshield wipers might not be an every time thing.

quote]

Funny this subject would come up... I was going to put it under "How to make the job easier - Tips & tricks". (Oh yeah... and don't be sorry about bringing up old topics... new ideas are always good, even on old topics.)

Anyway, about removing the wipers and the cowl. I have learned the hard way that many of you may disagree with not doing so. But you will find, especially on cobalts, that it is not always necessary.

So here we go again, lol.

It is not necessary to remove the wipers and cowl on a cobalt. This windshield can be done, completely, in 15 - 20 minutes with practice.

The top of the cowl has a rubber flap that is moulded onto the cowl. This barely covers the bottom of the w/s. The wipers, rather than being removed, can simply be stood up. The bottom urethane bead is way above the cowl.

Simply stand the wipers up, and cut out the windshield with the wipers and cowl still on the car. (Don't do this if you still cut out the bottom of the glass with a utility knife. Remove the parts instead, or you will hack the rubber on the cowl.)

For the non believers, you still, at this point, have the option of removing the cowl after the windshield is out. But read on...

Do your normal prep for re-install. (cut off the old urethane, etc.) Put the glue on the car, not the glass.

When you are ready to install the glass, you will need a helper as it must be done top first, although reasonably parallel to the car.

Simply install the glass and let the bottom of the glass land above the rubber flap on the cowl. The glue is more than far enough away from the cowl that it won't squish out onto the cowl.

If the replacement glass doesn't have the location tabs on the top, then tape it to the roof.

Use a hook tool to pull the cowl flap over the bottom of the glass, and you're done. These cars are the new DW 848.
Paranoia
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Vehicles without windshield molding

Post by Paranoia »

I'm not trying to rag on you but...

"" When you are ready to install the glass, you will need a helper as it must be done top first, although reasonably parallel to the car.""

Some of us don't always have the option of having helpers.
I tend to spend the extra time removing the extra parts to make sure I don't have anything come back due to leaks air noise ect..
WindShield Installer / HardCoRe Gamer

I work hardcore I play hardcore.
http://www.virusclan.org
The Infection Starts Here