need expert help - how to not scratch the paint

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Rabbitt
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: need expert help - how to not scratch the paint

Post by Rabbitt »

i use a teflon protected cold knife blade and for using air that is a 2 person job to do a clean extract. i believe equelizer has these red flat teflon coated or something bars, comes in different lengths. slide that between glass and outer body. works well in most cases. its just practice when power tools involved. become in the feel of things then
AlaGlassMagic

Post by AlaGlassMagic »

eddiew wrote:I work at a car factory. About 20 cars per day are needing a piece of glass replaced. Many times it's the windshield. The problem is almost every time the guy scratches the paint badly and it ends up going to paint repair and costs the factory more money. He is using a regular cold knife and many times uses an air powered knife which is horrible for the paint. He says it's unavoidable because the urethane has dried so much or the gap between the metal and the windshield is too small (sometimes it really is and that's why it's being replaced). Also sometimes the window is scratched. The cars are new Pontiac Vibes and Toyota Corollas. Any tips, tricks, techniques, tools, etc on how to avoid scratching the paint while removing any of the windows would be greatly appreciated!
It would depend on why the glass is being replaced. I typically do not scratch cars at all only on the metal under the glass which is covered by primer anyway if he is scratching the car other places he just doesn't care enough because he is not paying for the paint work.
jbmoose

Post by jbmoose »

This is gonna sound redneck, but it works. I've done it many times, especially for VW's and newer Caravans. Cut a piece of half gallon milk jug or ice tea bottle, so that you can actually hold onto it while you hold the cold knife handle. When you pull the cold knife, keep the piece of plastic jug inline with the cold knife blade. I know, sounds dumb. But it works great. The teflon on those other cold knife blades seems to basically peel of, and i grind my cold knife blades anyway so they're super thin and cut like butter
Mariagilbert

Post by Mariagilbert »

If in case you have decide to work your body to make discussions with the paint.

Probably you have any recommendations the type of primer to use. Some brands are compatible with the maps or color layers. The golden rule is to stay within the same brand of paint, both to prepare and paint.