need expert help - how to not scratch the paint

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: need expert help - how to not scratch the paint

Post by Glasseye »

A good starting point would be talking to a car body repair shop. The kind of work they do requires that fitters are extremely skilled in removing glass without causing damage to the body or the glass. They will only use fitters who have that capability.
Is a customer always right? - No, but they are always the customer.
eddiew

Post by eddiew »

What do you guys think of complaints such as...

"The gaps are too small"
"It's difficult to cut around the windshield tabs"
"The blades are dull, only good for 3-4 jobs"

I believe them about the dull blades, but regarding the gap and tabs, I think that doesn't excuse scratching the exterior paint.

They are finding it difficult to believe that removing an 09 Corolla or Vibe windshield with a cold knife is possible without scratching the paint, due to tight gaps.

Any suggestions on what do tell them? I am leaning towards finding a professional to train them.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

I,ve looked at the Corolla on U tube and from what I can gleem from the videos is does not seem to lend itself well to cutting out just using cold knife. Correct me if I'm wrong but the side edge of the glass tapers below the line of the A post moving down the screen and the wings overhang the bottom corners of the screen which would severely limit control of the cold knife. On that type of assembly I would probably use the cold knife on the top and part way down the sides, then switch to wire for the rest of the sides and bottom. Regarding the dulling blades, using a small file or sharpening stone ( not a grinder) to keep the edges sharp will prolong there life. They actually "work harden" the more they are used and a skilled fitter can use the same blades for weeks doing 4 - 6 screens per day. Body repair shops in the UK use fitters who are probably have the best skills ( and tools) for dealing with your problem. If you have the same set up in the US, speak to a local shop and find out who they use.
Is a customer always right? - No, but they are always the customer.
sourkraut

Post by sourkraut »

It should cold knife almost the full way around you may need to olfa the bottom. If its really bad extract the bottom corners but there should be no paint damage.
eddiew

Post by eddiew »

Last week I was able to watch the 2nd shift technician remove the back glass from a Corolla. He used the same cold knife that the 1st shift technician uses. He taped off the places that were prone to scratching. He took his time and never even scratched the tape. He stays away from the power tools and almost exclusively uses a cold knife. He also uses a scraper to cut the bottom area of the glass that the cold knife cannot reach. He takes longer than the 1st shift technician but almost never sends cars to paint repair. I have visited the people in paint repair and found that 1st shift glass repair sends an overwhelming amount of damaged cars to them, while 2nd shift sends barely any.

The difference I have found between the two technicians is the care and patience level. I am writing up standard procedures for removing glass and handing them over to repair management. It will be up to them to make sure their technicians follow them.

Thank you all for your helpful advice!
new2thebiz

Post by new2thebiz »

simple solution, get a new installer.
bradsautoglass

Post by bradsautoglass »

How to use the cold knife...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bki-LlO9how
Athletics Auto Glass

Post by Athletics Auto Glass »

It takes experience, skills, patience and cordnation to remove a glass with minimum or no scratches on a vehicle. I'm able to do most of my jobs without the protection of blue tape to remove any glass on a vehicle. I make sure the blade on my cold knife is very sharp and cut like butter. Most beginners should tape off the area where where they going to run the cold knife near.........................
YotaStyle

Post by YotaStyle »

Something I found very useful was what I called a "spatula." Before I bought an Equalizer Extractor I had the worst time pulling quarter glasses and such out of this BMW body shop we subcontracted for. Anyway what I did was take a (I think part#LBE1402) equalizer blade, a 2.5-3' piece of flat stock steel, and like a 6" long X 1" piece of square tubing and weld them all together....I did find out when after a couple "repairs" to my tool to not get the stainless steel too hot when welding it to the flatstock as it tempers the stainless and makes it brittle. So take your time and "spot weld" around instead of laying down a continous bead. **After welding, take it to a die grinder with a sandpaper wheel and grind all the rough "birdshi+" welds down smoothe so it wont mar up any interior panels.**

Anyway, it looks something like this: |=====D

Now this sounds crude but it works REALLY well! Using an inpact "sand" hammer, hammer on the flat stock part or the "T handle" part to get it started, then lose the hammer and work it down the the top part of the window, pull it out, and run it across the bottom and the quarter glass is out and in most cases without the encapsulation being cut and the moldings not having to be removed! Just remember to use lubricant....

I actually still carry one around with me...because trust me, it will save your butt on a DW1549 when your extractor battery craps out!

Just my two pennies, let me know what ya think! :)

(PS-the idea has already been sent to Equalizer)
alannmorriss
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by alannmorriss »

The Best solution, get a new installer. :)