Training Classes

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
jhickman1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Training Classes

Post by jhickman1 »

Do any of you replacement guys know of a good place to go for replacement training in or near NC? I have family in GA that I can go visit and work with to get some replacement experience but that would require me leaving town for a few days at the time leaving my business unattended. I would also like to get some "formal training" though. I currently do WSR near Fayetteville NC so th closer the better. Any advice would help.
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
Kgobin

Re: Training Classes

Post by Kgobin »

I have a couple of contacts in SC and GA that can help you out so call me when you get time.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
trueviewag

Post by trueviewag »

I am also looking for some windshield replacement training. Do you know of any in North Idaho or around Boise Idaho? I have been asked probably 10 times this month if i replace windshields, but i only do repair. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks
TRUE VIEW Auto Glass
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Trueviewag, I get calls all the time for replacements and I only do repairs. I didnt want start doing replacements for at least a year but theres no tellin how much money I will turn down by then!
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
trueviewag

Post by trueviewag »

Hi Jhickman1

I've been doing windshield repair since January,and every time i go out someone will ask me i replace windshields. I also wanted to wait awhile and get my feet under me before i attempted it, but now i'm starting to sniff around thet internet to find information. I wanted to see what i would be getting my self into. My biggest hurdle would be to find some training in my area. I live in a small town so that limits me. I even went to my competition here in town and asked if i could shadow them or if they would train me. Guess what kind of reaction i got. LOL
I was hoping to get some advice or maybe a contact here on the forum. What are your thoughts about starting to replace? Do you live in an area that would allow you to find training, and or, shadow someone?
TRUE VIEW Auto Glass
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Trueviewag, I have also been doing this since the start of the year. I have not gone to any local guys to shadow because i.am certain that I would get the same reaction you did. Korey knew of some good contacts for me that are about an hour and a half from me. Whe I get some replacement tools I will try to contact them. As I mentioned, I have family in GA that has a glass biz and I can go down there to work with them to get my feet wet in replacements. The only problem is they are about 5 hours away so when I go I will have to plan on stayin a few days. So its not exactly convenient.
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Replacement is a very hard business to make money in now days. I can promise you will make more mone in repairing than you will replacement.I get tons of calls everyday for prices on replacement and be willing to bet I want not get very many of them.Just cause they want a price doesn't mean you are going to get the job.
trueviewag

Post by trueviewag »

Hi, Bill

It's a tough one for me to not consider replacement, only because of my consumer base. I have around 15,000 folks in about six small towns within 25 miles. There's is only one establised windshield shop i know of. They do both repair and replacement, and from what i know, they are busy with both. I plan to take most of, if not all of their repair business away from them. I have already taken one of the local fleet accounts, do to his service and quaility of repair. But.... I adverage 1 repair for every 1 request for replacement. Your right about not knowing if i will get the replacement jobs or not. I guess what i'm saying is do the repair monies out way the replacement monies. Would the cost of, and time spent on learning the replacement biz be worth it to me. I know these are questions i have to answer myself. I'm looking for advice and opinions on this subject. From what i've said how would you approach it? I'm new and i'm sure i'm not seeing the big picture. Thanks
TRUE VIEW Auto Glass