Extractor - Cordless, Corded, or Pneumatic?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
bobwires
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Extractor - Cordless, Corded, or Pneumatic?

Post by bobwires »

I'm going to pick up an Extractor, unless I get some reason to look at some other brand, and I want to know what you prefer:

- Cordless would be great, and can use batteries I already have. Plus, I don't do a lot of glass, so battery life is no biggie.

- Corded, since it will be a dedicated tool anyway. Is the extra power/longevity worth it?

- Pneumatic seems like it could work great, but I'm concerned about putting a tool as powerful as an air hammer that close to paint! Just a little more finesse, I'm sure. Would hook up to an air hammer I already own, so it's cheap, and I have a 18CFM compressor. I love air tools. Very low profile, so easy to sneak up against tight dashes.

thanks for any input.
mikelawtown

Re: Extractor - Cordless, Corded, or Pneumatic?

Post by mikelawtown »

I have a cordless extractor express and love it. Dont care about dewalt batteries but works 100% , just keep the area wet.
bobwires

Post by bobwires »

Cool.

So 1 vote for cordless.

I'm most intrigued about the old-school. Who prefers pneumatic?
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I use the Extractor Hornet cordless. It does a great job but you gotta keep up on the batteries being charged. I'm mobile only so I can't rely upon a power soarce. I'd say if you have a dedicated location where you don't need to leave, go with the electric unit...Seems to me that the flexibility of an electric cord is much better than a pneumatic hose...plus, hopefully you wont be dragging some dirty hose across your customer's seats etc. Good luck!!!
squiggy333

Post by squiggy333 »

I use the Extractor with a cord. I found the cordless didn't have enough power. You can feel the difference when there side by side. Also installing an inverter in our van has proved to be a wise decission. Were mobil anywhere now and it makes for great conversations with the customers
Mattcurtiss

Post by Mattcurtiss »

Corded the way to go, the housings on the cordless models used to crack, and the battery will wear out over time. Inverter in the van is a great add on, you could also use it for a fine knife and or a shop vac to clean broken tempered glass.
AandRGlass

Post by AandRGlass »

I like the cordless extractor the best mainly because i am mobile only.
AlaGlassMagic

Post by AlaGlassMagic »

Corded for sure. The battery operated ones have never lasted very long for me the battery lose contact or something.
jbmoose

Post by jbmoose »

Go cordless, its much easier. And sharpen your blade, those blades outta the box are duller than a school librarian. You really shouldnt need it for anything other than the bottom cut, and maybe part of the sides. Using it across the top just blasts the crap outta the pinchweld
Mariagilbert

Post by Mariagilbert »

The revolutionary Extractor Milwaukee V28 is the newest option for those looking for rugged performance and unbeatable strength. With 40% - 50% more power than an 18 volt, this groundbreaking battery will run twice as long. Better choice!! :P