Windshield distortion

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
redfar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Windshield distortion

Post by redfar »

Hello everyone,
My windshield on my Peugeot 407 was with some scratches and a few stone chips and I decided to change it with a new one.I went to a glass shop and he told me it's not a problem and he have the windshield that I need.I asked him if the his glass is imitation and he said no,OEM glass and showed me the windshield for my car.
the windshield that I had was Guardian with Peugeot emblem on it so sure it was original.The one that he installed me is AGC Automotive,and I'm very unsatisfied with it.
Three inches from the bottom of the windshield,there is a wavy distortion or optical distortion because when I look at that part during driving,the street and the cars looks wavy.
I went back to him and when I told him and he check it, told me yes there's a problem and I have to change it,but the other one he have is the same like mine and this week he had new stock from AGC AUTOMOTIVE and with the same problem.
Do you ever had windshields from AGC automotive and have this problem?

Now he told me if I can wait he order one from Guardian.like the one I had before.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windshield distortion

Post by Glasseye »

Windshield manufacturers make windshields in batches, the second delivery they received most probably came from the same production batch. Windshield quality standards allow for a limited amount of distortion close to the edge of the glass, whilst this does not meet the same specification as your original windshield it will still come within allowable standards. The only way to obtain the same quality is to order an OE windshield, you will know it is OE because it will have the Peugeot emblem printed on it. I would still advise you check it for distortion before you have it fitted and try to look through it at approximately the same angle as when it is fitted in the vehicle.
benswindshieldrepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Windshield distortion

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I replace glass every day and I can say that I have had some very distorted replacement pieces come in that I would not even install. They were sent right back to my distributor with a nasty-gram. I've gotten less and less low quality glass as this has gone on as it costs them to send it to me. At any rate, because you had two shots at this, I'd be curious to know what kind of distortion you are seeing and where. Some distortion is expected in certain windshields depending on the bend of them. I've learned that people don't notice things that "don't look right" until after I have done my work because they are LOOKING. I now take "before" photos and have them sign disclaimers as to the pre-replacement quality. But at the same time, as Glasseye said, since this is an uncommon windshield, it's very possible that the 2nd windshield was the next one off of a deck of lousy windshields that got shipped out prior to a re-tooling of the equipment. Hope you're able to find one that satisfies you.