REMOVING A WINDSHIELD FROM A VEHICLE

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
the big welshman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

REMOVING A WINDSHIELD FROM A VEHICLE

Post by the big welshman »

I am just wondering how many of you guys are removing the windshield with wires rather than with a knife???
the big welshman

Re: REMOVING A WINDSHIELD FROM A VEHICLE

Hi there, I hear that Safelite Glass is now training there Windshield Replacement Techs the method of removing a windshield with a Wire Robot equipment. Its a slower method of removing a Windshield but the Labour costs are lower ie less injurys to the Techs :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
benswindshieldrepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I'm still using the cold-knives and extractor. I am looking at buying a wire system though. I've been eye-balling some of these newer cars and they're looking more and more like that's going to be the only way to go. The top edge particularly on some VW's and others is looking VERY tight and less and less vehicles are utilizing moldings that cover any damage that may occur.
the big welshman

Safelite use a robot wire system to remove the Windshields which may damage the body of the car.There are systems out there that use a cranking method and something other than the wire system.It is a slower method for removing a windshield, one of the reasons that safelite are using this system is labour costs? How I know that they are using this method safelite just gbought a Glass replacemt shop here in Mass & one of the techs was advising me that they have to learn a differnt way of removing a windshield
squiggy333

Post by squiggy333 »

I wasn't taught to use the wire when I was learning. Some of the windshields today are very close to the edges, but I think experience is the main key. I've been able to switch between cold knives and machines depending on the vehicle. I've been told the wire is very time consuming, however the more you work with it, I'm sure the faster you will master it.
the big welshman

Safelite uses a Robot and wire to remove the Windshield and you do not have any control of removing the windshield ?There are other companys that use the crank method and a orange cord and you are in control of removing the windshield (check out AGRR magazine Nov/Dec page 16) One of the reason Safelite is using this method of removing the windshield is LABOUR COSTS?????????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
PUextrusion

Post by PUextrusion »

The main reason that larger companies have changed the method of windscreen removal from the kent Knife and long knife to wire is not for economic reasons.

To reduce damage to paint, dash and wiring looms.
To prevent strain on the fitters neck or back.
Able to remove glass without damage for remove and refit or warrenty purposes.

Modern vehicle windscreens require modern removal techniques as there is a significant chance of damaging the paint work on trimless direct glazed units.

I had to change to wire as the company i worked for banned the use of the kent knife and long knife, the transition was difficult but with practice it is easier and quicker with less mess and no damage.

Would you use a Kent Knife on a new Audi TT or a VW Eos?.

You can remove both the above screens without glass bot or any other device just the basic wire techniques top and bottom using square wire with care and frequent glances inside to ensure the dash guards are in place.
MrPhil

Post by MrPhil »

I have a python wire kit and only use it as needed. I prefer a cold knife, then an express knife, then wire. Basically it depends on the job. I have found that setting up the wire takes a lot of time. Equalizer posted a video showing the realtime removal of 9:52 after setup.

But, there are some vehicles where a wire is the only safe way to go. If I ever get to where 75% or more of my jobs require a wire then I will upgrade to a glass bot. I bought the python because that is what I could afford at the time. My employer doesn't buy tools.
AandRGlass

Post by AandRGlass »

Yea some of the new vehicles have almost no gap to start a cold-knife blade without damaging the paint.
Mariagilbert

Post by Mariagilbert »

I have taken my vehicle to the windshield technician and they have neither removed it by wire, knives or other mechanical devises. They works by sending an electomagnetic field though the glass, molding and urethane. When the field comes in contact with the metal pinch weld behind the glass, it becomes hot and causes the urethane to loose its bond.