Need help! Applyed primer on old urethane base.

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
grassfire
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Need help! Applyed primer on old urethane base.

Post by grassfire »

Hello erveryone. This is first time I DIY the back windows for my car, The problem is I used urethane primer on the glass and the old urethane base both! (I left about 1mm old urethane on pinchweld). Because it is back window, I am worried if the bond is not enough strong and there is any safe problem. So do I have to take out the glass and redo again? Thanks advance!
benswindshieldrepair

Re: Need help! Applyed primer on old urethane base.

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

If I understand your situation correctly, there should be no problem with applying the primer to both the glass and surface to be glued to. I guess if it leaks I'm wrong. I don't use the primer on the urethane, I typically use a Sika product (applicator? I think is the name) and swipe the urethane prior to install with the Sika polyurethane I use... I think you're gonna be ok if you ran a good bead.
grassfire

Post by grassfire »

benswindshieldrepair wrote:If I understand your situation correctly, there should be no problem with applying the primer to both the glass and surface to be glued to. I guess if it leaks I'm wrong. I don't use the primer on the urethane, I typically use a Sika product (applicator? I think is the name) and swipe the urethane prior to install with the Sika polyurethane I use... I think you're gonna be ok if you ran a good bead.
I think you understand what I say, my problem is I primed the old urethane base which I left. And the primer should just be used on glass and metal normally.

I checked it by washing the car and didn't find any leak, actually I am not worried about leak even because it is not a big problem. The thing I am really worried is the safe issue because it is a back window. Yesterday I do a test with two new small samples by each ways and compared them. They are all much stronger than I think and I also can not find any diffrence at least until now. Your reply assured me more and I decide not to redo it. Thanks again!
wrightworks

Post by wrightworks »

primer is designed to bond to urethane . The integrity will be acceptable rest easy .
grassfire

Post by grassfire »

wrightworks wrote:primer is designed to bond to urethane . The integrity will be acceptable rest easy .
Relieved totally. Thank you very much!