Stuck wiper arms

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
pa glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Stuck wiper arms

Post by pa glass »

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum. I searched a little but I did not find a lot on this subject. My concern is how to deal with those arms that you can't reach with a puller either because of the height of the hood or perhaps worse, the deep "well" that a post may sit in preventing the use of a puller. I have spent more time than I care to admit struggling with a puller on an extreme angle slipping off and starting all over. If you wiggle them you have a great chance of the crimped metal to plastic motor arm underneath snapping. If you try to use a torch you will melt the cowl. Sometimes I just don't know what to do. I use a puller like equalizer sells but it breaks down pretty quick when I tap it with a hammer and the twist rod is thin and bends and it is too wide to get down in there. Anyone have a preferred tool or method for this they would like to share? Thanks for your help.
Valentine

Re: Stuck wiper arms

Post by Valentine »

Usually I will spray some silicone lubricant or equivalent and let it soak for a bit while I work on removing mouldings or prep my glass. Then I will hit the wiper arm with a rubber mallet right at the "elbow"(where the arm flips up) and that usually softens it up enough to wiggle it off the wiper post. Hope it helps :)
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

I feel your pain. I can't recommend any specific tool but if you go on " You Tube" and search for "Wiper arm removal tool" , there are a some different design tools, being demonstrated, which might be of more use to you.
Mariagilbert

Post by Mariagilbert »

Found it very irritating task to remove one of my wiper arms when it started knocking against the window seal. If you can get your hands on a Battery Terminal Lifter or Pulley Removal Tool it'll pop the arm off without damaging any paint/plastic (this works if the arms snapped too).

I think their only a couple of quid, they seem to be quite a common tool for engineers and mechanics if you know any. :P
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

I appreciate the reply, however I suspect your are an auto owner and not an installer. The use of a terminal puller of some sort is just assumed. While it worked on whatever make of vehicle you own that is hardly representative of the hundreds of makes that they can't be used on. The trouble is that too many have the post set deep down in to a "well" with narrow sides that no puller I have come across is designed to access. Also they are some times too long for a puller to reach the bottom or the top of the hood is in the way so that you may have to actually remove the hood to get on top of the post.

I am now on my second attempt to make my own. I have cannibalized an Equalizer brand wiper puller to make it shorter by at least an inch and with my own much flatter pullers. As I get it working I intend to work with Equalizer to produce them for everyone's use.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

As crude as this may sound, I whack it at the joint with a rubber mallet and sometimes use a penetrant oil to help along. I find that late model Chevy's driver side are the worst. Just don't yank on them in the direction that they wipe or you will dislocate the mechanism or strip them out. Upon reassembly, I dab a little anti-seize on them. Good luck!!
crudthug

Post by crudthug »

This probably sounds crazy but, I use a air hammer turned way down with a flat hammer faced bit. Make sure you reinstall the nut flush with the shaft. I understand mobile guys might not be able to do this but you could replicate this with a regular hammer although not as effectively.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

Okay, I'm trying to picture this. You were saying to loosen the nut to the top of the threads? And then what do hit with the hammer? I am picturing it just pushing it further down if I pressed against the wiper arm. Pressing on the nut wouldn't help. Please elaborate.
I did find a very nice puller that works well most times. You can see it in the Equalizer catalog I payed about $50. bucks but I think it's $38 in Glass Technologies. It has two sets of removable arms. They are straight so it fits down in there very well. Built like a tank. I highly recommend it. Well worth the cash.
crudthug

Post by crudthug »

Exactly. The vibration from hammer loosens the wiper arm from shaft. I've been using the air hammer technique (start with lowest air possible and increase till arm pops up) in the body shop for ten years now. It's fast and I haven't damaged anything. Now that I'm headed into the mobile replacement market I'm also looking for a puller. I can only imagine what a customer would think watching using a hammer to remove their wipers. I would use that method though if everything else failed. Kinda like customers don't like seeing their car/truck cut in half. Sometimes that's what is required.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Just spray some silicon spray and let it sit a few minutes. Works almost everytime