What is the best wire cut out tool?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
J.glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What is the best wire cut out tool?

Post by J.glass »

Looking for something easier and safer.

I have seen the safelite ez-wire (not sure if they sell those to the public tho)

equalizer python tool, GTglass KONG (they say rip cord is reusable), and a tool called the scorpion. There is a bunch of these tools on the market. Wondering if you guys would recommend one over the other, or knew about pricing?
Last edited by Kgobin on June 28th, 2013, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed URLs
pa glass

Re: What is the best wire cut out tool?

Post by pa glass »

It seems like I can never get through a whole cut out with out it snapping a couple times. I just tried the GT Gorilla wire and it works great. Got very tight but kept going and can still use it again. Now I am looking forward to my next wire removal.
cj4a007

Post by cj4a007 »

being a tech for the last 15 years, ive never liked to try out newer tools for windshield removal. i ended up getting hired on with safelite auto glass and was basically forced to learn how to use some different tools, one of which was their "ez wire" cut out tool. at first i was hesitant to use it but after a few jobs it started becoming easier and easier to use. only thing is their tools are designed and used only by safelite. the good and the bad. the good was how it could remove most any windshield without any damage to the glass (if used properly) and little to no damage to the car itself. the bad was the setup of the tool took longer than i would like, the wire would break often, and if your wire wasnt properly ran across the bottom of certain vehicles it could/would cut off the entire pinchweld on the bottom of the vehicle! not something you want to run into on a mobile job!also if you dont use "a" pillar and dash protectors you could easily mess those parts up as well.
well i am no longer employed for safelite and back at a different glass shop and now seem to be missing my wire cut out tool on certain vehicles. the owner of this shop likes the idea of the tool itself and is asking me to figure out which wire tool would work the best and he is willing to buy one for each of his shops. any info on any wire tool actually being used daily in a glass shop would be greatly appreciated!
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

I use a version of the Glass bot. Works fine. They have a newer version now. They all work okay. It's the wire that's a problem. The Gorilla wire is the best thing out there. It doesn't snap.
nikolic

Post by nikolic »

I think the EZ wire removal method is most commonly used in Europe to minimize body and corrosion issues. A long knife may be considered barbaric in some quarters. The use of wire is very smooth and controlled.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

Knives are not exactly "in the past". Wire tools, like any tool, have limitations. They won't pull through most wide beads or glass positioned too low to the P.W. , or trim with metal in it like a Focus 1345. I mostly pull out the wire tool to run along the tops of the most risky jobs. If they have trim on the sides I use other tools. No one out there, even in Europe, is just hooking up wire tools and hacking everything right out. They simply don't work that well.
Mariagilbert

Post by Mariagilbert »

I believe that a wire-out tool is the best way to remove the glass without undue breakage and damage to the painted metal.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I purchased the Glass Bot recently and have had very good luck with it. I'm mobile. And with my FIRST job with the tool, my customer insisted on observing. This was very nerve-wracking as you can imagine, but it was very simple and clean. I followed the instructions given on the youtube videos and the suggestions provided with the tool. Glassbot recently came out with a pulley system called the "apex" which I believe will revolutionize ALL cut-outs. If you are looking for a wire system, check out Glassbot. You will NOT be disappointed. And if you are, feel free to call me out on this forum.
Horizon Glass

Post by Horizon Glass »

The Kong is pretty sweet. The Glass Bot is fancy but wire kept breaking. I'm helping Equalizer do a Demo November 2nd at Mygrant Glass.