Windshield options/how do you handle it

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
pa glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Windshield options/how do you handle it

Post by pa glass »

There are getting to be many choices with windshields. RS Cs Ht compass bracket laser deletion area acoustic inter layer space ship detector and who knows what's next. The customers have no idea what they have. You can't find the exact part even with the vin. You may not even know how to tell if it has a cs if you were looking at anyway. Some ht wiper park areas are obvious while others are hidden under the black band. So how do you handle it. It's hard to get a job when you can't just give a price with out scheduling to go inspect the vehicle or try to get them to bring it in.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windshield options/how do you handle it

Post by Glasseye »

I can really understand your frustration with the increasing problem of correctly identifying the correct windscreen/shield. Many many years ago I had a meeting with a windscreen manufacturer and tried to impress upon them the need to stencil the glass part no. on the glass but they did not see a need for it.
So, today this problem exists and is worsening. However, every cloud has a silver lining. Rather than see this as a problem, use it as a way of reinforcing your partnership with the customer. Let the customer see the effort you make to get it right and keep their details on file for future reference. Slowly but surely you will build up a good customer base and they will be recommending you to their friends.
pa glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Windshield options/how do you handle it

Post by pa glass »

Well, I have once again spoken to a rather unpleasant woman from Mitchel international. She says that their Glassmate software will in fact pick out the correct part for a particular auto using the vin. Others at Mitchel had told me that their look up would only provide the possible choices and not narrow it down to the correct one.
There must be any number of you who are or have used the Glassmate software. Can you please confirm what the look up is capable of? Certainly Mitchel doesn't seem to be clear on it