Mobile Workshops

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
MichaelSmedley
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Mobile Workshops

Post by MichaelSmedley »

Just though I would open a debate about peoples thoughts on Mobile Windscreens Workshops. I read a few forums in the US and the general feeling seems to be mobile repairers are considered inferior to the fixed workshop.

We are a fully mobile repairer. However, we have more equipment and tooling that just about any fixed workshop i have witnessed. We also service in a tropical climate, so sub zero temperatures are not a problem either.

All things being equal, what are the opinions out there of the mobile vs fixed workshop.
Delta Kits Distributor Australia
Service 8® Windscreens
pa glass

Re: Mobile Workshops

Post by pa glass »

Good luck getting a response from this group. I will most likely be the only reply.
I am certain you can do a great job either way. I started mobile only and have worked in my shop now for ten years. The thing with mobile is there are things out of your control that may cause a less than ideal installation. This would be a very hot sun that starts to cure the urethane before you get the glass down, especially if you have any trouble that makes it take longer to run a bead like a cone comes loose or a caulk gun breaks or a leaf blows in to it...

Next would be if you get a light rain while you are just finishing up. Just a drop here and there. What are you going to do. You are not going to scrape all the urethane off dry everything and start over. You just press on and pretend it will all be fine.

The next problem is when an employee is given too many jobs in a day and feels the need to rush things along. That's when primers are not used or not given proper drying times or bare metal scrapes are not primed or they may forget to use setting tape when there are no stops and the shield can slide down out of position. They may not clean urethane off some part of the car or leave a little glass dust on the dash...

All of these things can be dealt with by a conscientious installer as it sounds that you are. But when people have a bad feeling about mobile it is from sloppier jobs that result from those conditions.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

I'm strictly mobile and learned from my step dad who has a shop. I think customers many times refer mobile for convenience. Having a shop you can run for help if you get in a bind and many times do it without customers knowing. Mobile, well, they might be standing there watching you and you need to figure it out on the spot. Had that happen to me doing a door glass for an Audi, those I've learned are a pain if it's your first. Being in a shop or mobile doesn't make a better tech. Higher overhead for shop but you have the outdoor elements with mobiles.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

Workshop or Mobile ?? - good reasons and arguments for both types of operation. The confidence of the technician is crucial when performing mobile work. Having a customer watching your every move can be very unnerving, on the other hand you can get a buzz by showing them how well you can do the job. If I was doing a new glass for the first time ( like Windshields 911 Audi doorglass ) I would gen up on it prior to doing the job and, if I could, try to do the job with no customer present so you take your time and " suss " the job out.
I preferred working mobile because of the variety of locations and meeting people. Obviously climate plays a big part in how you do the job outside and I think more and more, windscreen replacement is lending itself to workshop replacement because of their size and complexity of fitting. My days of windscreen fitting are over but I still do glass repair because I still love the business. In the end a good replacement outfit should be able to offer both services to the customer with the promise to the customer that the job will be done right.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I am mobile only. I am working towards building a shop just so I have that option when it rains/snows. I have done replacements on cars that were performed by both brick-and-mortar shops and other mobile guys that are sub-standard. I've also been hard pressed to match the work of other mobile guys out there. So to that end, I think it all has to do with the guy holding the knife and the 'thane gun. In my area it is not a concern, but I know in the more metro areas of the country there are hacks on every other corner and every other van.