New business startup

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
hays
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

New business startup

Post by hays »

Hi, I am new to this site and a new poster. I have enjoyed reading through a number of posts and there are a lot of good ideas on here but have not found what I am looking for yet. I just recently registered my" Mobile" business as a LLC to do autoglass in Minnesota. I am in the process of filling out paperwork for the glass supplier. My questions are:
Do I need to have a certain license to install auto glass?
Would I be concidered a regisered wholesaler, retailer, contractor or other?
Do I need a retailer license?
Will I be using the winidshields I purchase for resale? Like through the installation process?
Also since I am just startinig up what would I put down for estimated monthly purchases from the supplier? I currently only have one windshield replacement scheduled.

Any help would be great! Thankyou
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: New business startup

Post by t4k »

When I went into business many years ago, I spent an entire day at my local court house and license commissioners office to get the right answers from the people who make and enforce the law for your state. This is a very important part of any business and the answers are critical to your future success.

Good luck!!!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Do I need to have a certain license to install auto glass?
Would I be concidered a regisered wholesaler, retailer, contractor or other?
Do I need a retailer license?
Will I be using the winidshields I purchase for resale? Like through the installation process?

I recommend calling contacting the following for the questions above. http://mn.gov/deed/business/help/sbao/index.jsp
I would think you would be a retailer but possibly a contractor. You are providing a service that includes parts necessary to perform the service. The state may not consider installations resale as the sale of the glass is part of your service but most glass shops also sell a few windshields over the counter to those who prefer to install them on their own. Describe exactly what you do and how you do it and they should be able to help you answer all of your questions correctly.

Also since I am just startinig up what would I put down for estimated monthly purchases from the supplier? I currently only have one windshield replacement scheduled.

Who is asking this question? This is just an estimate so don't worry about being 100% accurate how you answer may depend on who wants to know. If the supplier is asking it may have to do with your initial pricing. The price you pay for your glass is directly related to your purchase volume in most cases. In that case a high estimate may be preferable as long as it is honest and realistic. If the state is asking the question it may have something to do with the fee structure so a low estimate may be preferable as long as it is honest and realistic.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
schotz1

Post by schotz1 »

You will be a contractor and a retailer. If I had to choose one it would be contractor. You will need a sales tax resale licese and you will have to collect and submit the sales tax either monthly, quarterly, or yearly. You will also need a EIN number that is reqistered with the IRS. The EIN number stands for Employeer Identification Number. You will need it for taxes even if you don't employ anyone. In minnesota you might have to register with the EPA. I am in North Dakota and things are a lot more relaxed here. I don't have to register with the EPA however I also do auto body repair therefore I had to register.
maninthismoon

Post by maninthismoon »

Well, here in CA there are a few things that required. As an LLC, you need to run a name check and you of course need to file articles of org. and then a statement of information. Aside from all the city and county bs (fictitious name, etc.) you will need a resale certificate if your state has sales tax. Then federal ein. Then if you have employees, an employer number. Ugh. Then here we are licensed through the state bureau of automotive repair. If you only spent a day, congrats. It has taken me literally weeks to sort it all out. Usually the secretary of state has a website to get you through the state stuff. Nolo press has been a good resource. It isn't easy and the government has made it very difficult. Good luck.

Oh yeah. I also cut glass by hand for old cars. The EPA too for waste water from the grinder and disposal of laminated....