Direct glazing

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Direct glazing

Post by Glasseye »

I recently read a blog from Bob Beranek, regarding an issue with frit separation on OEM supplied windshields ( link attached)

http://beranek.agrrmag.com/2014/11/a-qu ... indshields

I raised my concern about the whole bonding process and the need for an improvement, owing to too many inconsistencies, both in the process itself and the varying standards of application.
Given the the aims and required standard demanded of Direct Glazing i.e. bonding, what needs to be done to achieve a 100% guarantee that a glass will a) meet the required safety standard and b) not leak?.
I have made one suggestion, that the glasses, where necessary, should mounted in frames and bolted to the vehicle.
I have opened this topic for debate. Please discuss.
pa glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Direct glazing

Post by pa glass »

This is a tough one. I'll say that it is unlikely you will see glass in frames. It was said in the discussion on the link that windshields are installed in urethane for safety. Of course a frame would be much safer so the actual reason they are set in adhesive is, since it is possible for it to be done safely, so they can make the auto look sleek and beautiful and not so much like a tank. Cars couldn't look anything like they do with framed windshields. Any one car may come out with a framed windshield if it suites the look of that one but it certainly isn't coming across the board.

As for pre primed glass, I don't get it. Every urethane product says you must use only their primer with their urethane and it must be applied with in about one hour of use. Where does pre applied primer of what ever brand fit in to urethane manufacturers instructions???

Next I would wonder why Volvo would spend the extra cash to pre prime glass intended for the aftermarket? They certainly don't spend that extra cash to "help out" us installers and in fact it's a problem for us.

Next I would like to know if factory installed Volvo windshields use the same pre applied method and are any of them known to come apart or is it only those given to for aftermarket installation. One theory is that perhaps the new primer that we apply wet over the other unknown brand may be leaching through the Volvo primer and releasing it from the windshield while of course sticking properly to the new urethane of the the same brand of urethane. I don't know if Volvo also re applies a primer in the factory installation or the urethane directly over the existing primer. Either way they would be using compatible products.

I imagine that it would cost Volvo some cash to separate windshield production sending some shields out of the line before getting primed. It is less expensive to run them all the same. They need to consider a run of non primed glass just for the aftermarket.

Until then I would attempt to purchase an aftermarket part that is not primed or sand it all off with 200 grit paper clean with a proper solvent and prime according to your urethane manufacturer. That should take out the guess work.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Direct glazing

Post by Glasseye »

Some good points made pa glass. I totally agree with the point you made on supplying glass pre-primed. Installers are responsible for ensuring the replacement glass is fitted correctly. Pre-priming just confuses the process and dilutes responsibility. I think Volvo are thinking more about preparing glass for new car assembly.
As for the framing and bolting of glass to the body, it may give the car design people a challenge but I think there needs to be at least a secondary system to ensure the windshield performs to required safety standards, throughout the life of the vehicle.