Adapting a windshield removal tool for a different purpose

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
SignGuy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Adapting a windshield removal tool for a different purpose

Post by SignGuy »

Hello everyone. As my name implies, I'm in the sign business. Here's my conundrum that I'm hoping someone here can help out with:

Signs like the attached are typically installed with various types of double-sided tape (1/16" thick or so) and silicone. They can be pretty difficult to remove without damaging the wall. Even if damaging the wall isn't an issue, they're still difficult to remove. I came across some videos on YouTube showing a few different types of windshield removal tools. Some were ratchet operated, one was drill operated. The concept was basically the same: it pulled the wire through the adhesive that was holding the windshield in place.

I would like to use a similar concept to adapt/modify/create a tool that can be placed next to a sign, and using a drill, it would basically use one of the brands of windshield wire to cinch through the tape and silicone.

I would love to hear your thoughts on if there's a tool that could be easily modified or possibly already exist that could perform this task.

I appreciate your time!!

Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Adapting a windshield removal tool for a different purpo

Post by Brent Deines »

Would not just the wire cut to whatever length you desire and a couple of handles work? https://www.equalizerfusion.com/Product ... rodId=1854

You will still have the problem of removing the adhesive tape from the wall after the sign has been removed but with some adhesive cleaner and/or a hair dryer that should not be too difficult in most cases if you don't already have a better method.

You may also want to protect the edges of the signs with masking tape or door edge guard. http://www.trimlok.com/prod/Edge-Guard/ ... ductID=119
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
crudthug

Post by crudthug »

I use a 4 inch wide putty knife for mouldings on the sides of vehicles. I would imagine a blade from one of equalizer extractor tools combined with a handle would work quite well too. Equalizer sells them separately. Blades around 40. Handle 15.
SignGuy

Post by SignGuy »

Thanks for the response. I've tried the method you mentioned with fishing line, guitar string, etc, and the issue is I can't hold the sign and cut through the tape & silicone at the same time. If I don't hold the sign, as soon as I cut through the last of the tape & silicone, the sign is going to fall.

I'd like something that allows me to hold the sign while cutting through the tape & silicone. A drill operated mechanism would be great, but I guess something perfect for what I do doesn't exist.

Removing the tape & silicone from the wall isn't really a concern. It's usually either going to be covered by a new sign or the customer is already aware that it will need to be repaired.

Thanks again for the response!
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

This requires a two step solution. You start cutting with the wire and a pair of handle or vise grips or whatever. When you are two thirds through the sign will easily pull away from the wall and you go in with a long knife to cut the remainder while holding the sign in the other hand. You don't have to just keep going with wire until the sign falls off.